+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtd: high gain pre amp

I'm Steve.

Default Wtd: high gain pre amp

To suit a power amp with 3v input sensitivity.

Now..this doesn't mean much to me. I just need suggestions and offers of pre amps that are electrically compatible with that figure

I'm James.

Is this to try or for serious? The reason I ask is that I have one of each doing nothing, a bottle head battery Quickie and an SJS Arcadia. Need to check Bottlehead output this evening to confirm. PM if interested?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

What is the power amp? Just wondering if the sensitivity could be increased easily.

I'm Steve.

If i could get this 300B delivering what it should then I'd like to keep it for a while. Budget would be £6-700 max at the moment though.
    I don't really want to tinker with the power amp Alan. It's a beautiful bit of kit in unmarked condition.. I should keep it as original as possible if I can. It's a trafomatic experience 2.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The following reply is cut-pasted from my reply to your other thread:

The pre-amp shouldn't need to be particularly high gain. Assuming your sources are CD and similar and have outputs of 2V, you only need 3.5dB gain to get to 2V. However, experience tells me that people generally don't like to see the volume control up in the last quarter of its travel so a bit more gain would be a good idea. 10dB would allow a 1V source to drive your power amp to full power. Most active pre-amps have 10dB or more gain, so pretty much any active pre-amp would fit the bill.
    How does this account for impedance mismatches though?

I'm Alan.

Can understand you wanting to keep it original.
    The spec says no global feedback so probably difficult to alter the sensitivity easily.
    Spec says 0.5V sensitivity?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Paul.

I’ve been putting off selling my World Designs Pre3, but I don’t use it anymore and have just been hanging on to it for no reason.

Gain can be configured for either 6X or 12X and as it uses output transformers the output impedance is really low, aound 10 ohms or something. It shouldn’t have any issues driving your poweramp even with quiet low output sources. £600 delivered? This includes the PSU3 powersupply.

If your interested I can fish it out and post some pics?
    ~Paul~

I'm Paul.

If I remember correctly the maximum output voltage is something like 8v, so it has plenty of headroom for a low sensitivity poweramp.
    ~Paul~

I'm Steve.

Hi Paul, that's certainly a nice option. Could I see what else (if anything!) Comes in and come back to you?

I'm Rob.

I can't find any specs online but I have an EAR 802 currently sat collecting dust if that's of any interest. I've successfully used it with a variety power amps for over 10 years.
    I could do a loan if you want to see how it goes.
    Let me know whether you're interested.
    I'm near Stourbridge so not too far away.
    Rob.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast