+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12SN7 vs 6SN7 in a Croft pre question.

I'm James.

My understanding is that pinouts are given from below the valve as if when wiring the socket up. So Lawrence I'd be looking to measure the two pins anticlockwise from the key. And remember filaments might be running on ac so if dc values are really weird try ac values!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Dan.

PS I think your 2 statements about the pin outs are contradictory.
    Looking from the top, 7 and 8 would be the last two pins anti-clockwise from the key. From under the chassis looking at the bottom you go clockwise the last two pins.
    Jazid is also correct, the filament could be AC or DC. The attachment is the pin out from the bottom (wiring side)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Lawrence.

Ah ok I was measuring assuming the pin out was from above. I didn't imagine the valves would have lasted long with 80v across the filaments! I'll try tonight.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

All sorted now, it measured 11.1v on both valves so as I suspected from the heat it's designed for 12SN7. This was a surprise as I've never heard of a Croft amp built around this valve. I'm pleased on 2 fronts - the 12sn7 are as good sounding but cheaper, and I do like a rare piece of equipment

I'm Dan.

I'm glad you got that sorted out. Running the 6SN7 at that voltage would change its characteristics and they would have a very short life.

I'm James.

I'd ask Glen, he will remember an oddity of his own making. Top chap, he will help you and yes, I agree, 12sn7 is a bonus

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks guys that's where this forum and the experience of those on here really comes in handy, stops you blowing up your nice new equipment!! It wasn't just the heater voltage I found out about, also the rectifier was not in properly and another voltage supply valve was glowing like a light bulb.

Last edited by Lawrence001; 25-05-2018 at 11:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12