+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you listen?

I'm Mike.

Default Where do you listen?

We all lead very busy lives nowadays and on a recent business trip down to the south coast it dawned on me that the majority of listening i do is in the car, i have a Ford Mondeo titanium X with the higher quality sound system but apart from actually buying the car i've spent nothing on the car stereo, in contrast to that i get to listen to the stereo in the house in the evenings and at weekends but not for the same lengths of time as when i'm in the car and usually i'm doing something else so it's on in the background, but in contrast i shudder to think how much i've spent on kit over the years.

When i totted it up i actually sit and listen to music in the house for about 3 or at a push 4 hours a week and what i mean by sit and listen is no computer, phone , paperwork etc. that i'm doing while the stereo's on in the background, I'M APPALLED WITH MYSELF!!!

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm James.

Is this self-employed anonymous here? We're mostly the same, its the pleasure of listening in the slight time given that makes the memory so sweet.
    Don't worry, at least you can

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Michael.

I listen to dab radio in my brand new VW Golf sounds fantastic love Radio 2 listen to home hifi mostly in bed switch off at midnight

I'm Andreas.

At the moment I have plenty of time to listen with undivided attention in front of my stereo. But this is from studying and managing my own time, being single etc.

I really like my bubble undisturbed when enjoying good music and I think it's likely the inevitable transition into family life will mean a break from stereo listening and a move to a good portable setup.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Ben.

Most of my listening is probably done via my phone at work, I guess I get a couple of hours a day in, I have the tidal app & bbc iplayer app for 6 music so that along with a semi decent pair of in-ear phones works well enough for me.

"Proper" listening on the main rig at home is maybe a couple of hours each weekend depending on what we are doing and the odd hour or 2 of an evening (usually a Friday night "unwinding" from the week).
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

I'm Dennis.

Your position is the same as mine Andreas, I am much older and I have not done the 'family thing', being a reject, and so Hi-Fi and music have increasingly taken up my life and become embedded in the home.

When I have first dates, often they coming to my house for a meal, I swear that I can hear their 'software' saying, we could get rid of those speakers, those samplers and synths, and fill the house with screaming children and toys.

It would take a very high quality woman to motivate me to marry and have a family with, because it would not just be an arbitrary and normal part of life, but a very deliberate decision based on;

The partner has to be of sufficient quality and type for me to want to form a recombinant with better survival advantages.

The devotion to upbringing would be extreme to promote the child's advantages.

My musical interest and aspirations would not be sacrificed just for the child, but would be a part of its educational facilitation.

My partner obviously would have to be similarly positioned philosophically, and we both would be workers at life and child rearing.

My experience suggests that this is an odd way to look at things, and that most women do not or will not consider it as an approach, they just wanting a provider to supply their nesting decisions.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    We all lead very busy lives nowadays and on a recent business trip down to the south coast it dawned on me that the majority of listening i do is in the car, i have a Ford Mondeo titanium X with the higher quality sound system but apart from actually buying the car i've spent nothing on the car stereo, in contrast to that i get to listen to the stereo in the house in the evenings and at weekends but not for the same lengths of time as when i'm in the car and usually i'm doing something else so it's on in the background, but in contrast i shudder to think how much i've spent on kit over the years.

When i totted it up i actually sit and listen to music in the house for about 3 or at a push 4 hours a week and what i mean by sit and listen is no computer, phone , paperwork etc. that i'm doing while the stereo's on in the background, I'M APPALLED WITH MYSELF!!!
    Don't be so hard on yourself Mike.

Almost everyone who isn't retired will be finding it a struggle to get some decent listening hours in.

When we're younger we expect that things will get easier when we're older. The reality is that we often have less time to do what we like. Now my kids are grown up, I seem to spend increasing amounts of time doing jobs at their houses.

Also, despite what may be said about pay rising faster than inflation, I find myself working longer hours than ever just to maintain a certain standard of living. My weekends, once so fiercely protected, have now been cut in half through having to work most Saturdays.

Still, this time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!

By the way Mike, are you the Mondeo man who bombs around Buckshaw Village, playing Kylie cranked up to eleven?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Deleted.

I listen a lot in the car - FM and DAB (almost exclusively Radio 4 and 6 Music). I also listen to a lot of drama through my Bluetooth speakers in my bedroom and kitchen - 6 Music also. All, what I consider better than background listening, I listen to through my main system which has its own room etc.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 22-05-2018 at 15:55.
    Account Deleted

I'm joe.

I mostly listen at home, either in the sitting room where the main system resides, or in the room at the very top of the house where the second system is. (The latter is bloody cold in the winter though).

We are thinking, off and on, about downsizing, at which point choice of listening room might become an issue.

montesquieu Guest

Average 2-3 hours (often more) of listening to the main system every night. Study system is more for background listening. In the car, only R4 or R3.

I don’t have a TV so hifi is my main source of relaxation and amusement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast