+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dac+Streamer advice

I'm Erikas.

Default Dac+Streamer advice

Hello,

Just building my small audio system and looking to get streamer and dac..I just ordered Primaluna tube amplifier and will be using it with Harbeth speakers..I have Tidal Hi-Fi and Spotify Premium accounts so integration in to the streamer unit would be nice ..Otherwise money vice to get a better dac maybe worth to stream from Macbook in to dac? Advice needed..Thanks..

I'm David.

Hi Erikas. Whats your budget?
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Erikas.

Not looking for very high end...would spend probably £1000 plus...looking in to used market... If my Turntable will sell then could go for £1700
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    Hi Erikas. Whats your budget?

I'm James.

I would recommend a Chord Qutest and and a second hand InnuOS Zen mini server. I have evaluated both together recently and they make a stunning digital system, far better than using a MacBook. I tried mine and it sounded very ordinary compared with the InnOS Zen mini.

I'm Erikas.

With current budget probably can go for qutest only..InnOS Zen mini it seems ticking all boxes except hardware cd ripping is not necessary option for me

Jimbo;978615]I would recommend a Chord Qutest and and a second hand InnuOS Zen mini server. I have evaluated both together recently and they make a stunning digital system, far better than using a MacBook. I tried mine and it sounded very ordinary compared with the InnOS Zen mini.[/QUOTE]

I'm Nat.

For a thousand pounds you could get a used Chord 2Qute or a Hugo and something like a used Auralic Mini or even a Mac Mini optimised for audio. For your budget you could build an excellent streamer dac the 2Qute or Mk 1 Hugo go for £650 now on the used market or eBay that would leave you £350 for a streamer of which there are many choices. If you just want Tidal, Spotify and internet radio then any streamer using Logitech Media Server would work well .

I'm David.

A used Chord 2Qute will probably be your best bang for buck for your DAC....I might be able to help you there As Jimbo has suggested, go for a dedicted audio server as your source if sound quality is important to you. Try to audition one against a laptop or pc, the differences may surprise you.
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Simon.

Hi,

You could look at a Raspberry Pi based streamer, you'd need the following items to build a pretty good streamer:

1. Raspberry Pi
    2. HAT DAC (allo boss is currently getting great reviews but there are many options)
    3. A better power supply (many options from linear power supply's to batteries)
    4. A case
    5. Software (both picoreplayer and Volumio are good but again there are many choices)
    6. About an hour to put it all together and load the software onto the Pi.

Setting up the Pi is pretty simple but you will need a computer and a sd card reader to load the software and there are step by step YouTube videos to follow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Erikas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    A used Chord 2Qute will probably be your best bang for buck for your DAC....I might be able to help you there As Jimbo has suggested, go for a dedicted audio server as your source if sound quality is important to you. Try to audition one against a laptop or pc, the differences may surprise you.
    Just wondering.. why Chord dacs so popular? I t seems evetyone has one) Is it realy worth the price? I thinking to go for Auralic Altair..wich is streamer and dac in one...but it seems dac installed in it is not the best one...

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitus View Post
    Just wondering.. why Chord dacs so popular? I t seems evetyone has one) Is it realy worth the price? I thinking to go for Auralic Altair..wich is streamer and dac in one...but it seems dac installed in it is not the best one...
    For just over £200 the Caiman SEG is excellent and probably as good as anything else out there sub £1000.

I'm using the SEG with a fairly cheap £199 Denon streamer I use for internet radio (it doesn't do Tidal or those other services) and honestly I can't believe how good the Denon and the SEG sounds together, I bought the SEG with a view to upgrading the Denon but I'm not going to bother now, not for a while anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast