+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade fever has struck, but i need a bit of guideance.

I'm Mark.

Default Upgrade fever has struck, but i need a bit of guideance.

I have been struck by upgrade itus on my turntable,

I currently use the following

Acoustic Signature WOW XXL turntable,
    Acoustic Signature TA-700 tonearm,
    Acoustic Signature MM3 cartridge,
    Acoustic Signature PS-1 Linear psu.

I have been considering a tonearm and cart upgrade, and was thinking about an Origin Live Encounter, with a Koetsu Rosewood Standard

but I have come across a used SME 20/2A turntable whith an SME V arm, its 9 years old and in near mint condition with box and all accessories.

my quandry is so do i go for the upgrade or do i go for the SME and keep my MM3 to use on it, until my bank account comes out of cardiac arrest.

so wht do you guys think

I'm Hugo.

Asuming that the SME 20 is well priced, intact, and with correct suspension damping oil still contained where it should be, I reckon it’s a good choice - good engineering and design in a surprisingly compact package. The SME V would not be my choice of arm, but it’s very saleable. A chap who lives near here recently bought a freshly serviced SME 20 and had a new Origin Live Silver arm fitted, and it sounded very good indeed. I suspect that with an SME IV or V fitted the 20 would be more ‘HiFi’ but not so musical (others may disagree, of course). So, my feeling is that an OL Encounter would probably be a rather good partner for the SME 20, costing somewhat less than the second value of the SME V tonearm.

I'm Mark.

Hugo,

Thats an interesting option, I may see if the seller wants to split it.

thanks

Mark

+ Reply to Thread