+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Head Amp?????

I'm Steve.

Default Replacement Head Amp?????

Hi All,

I'm currently using a A&R Cambridge HA10 (re capped and better connectors by Mr Firebottle )and then into my Rega Brio2017 and would like to know if I would
    benefit using a MC phono stage in place of the HA10 and Brio Phono stage??
    I'm using the 2Experience SB DC and Audio Technica At33Ptg cart

Suggestion Appreciated

Regards Steve...
    Last edited by STD305M; 19-05-2018 at 14:49.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What you have already is effectively an MC phonostage.

Some think that an SUT is preferable to an amplifier, but IMO to improve over what you have, you will need to spend quite a bit: even more so if you choose to use an SUT.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the reply Barry
    I just wondered if i got a reasonably good MC phono stage whether it would be better than what im using now

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Alan.

You omitted to say that the HA10 has been re-capped with far superior capacitors (and connectors) than those originally fitted when new.

Both Oliver's and my opinion is that it was very close in performance to the superb Denon head amps, so I'd stick with what you have.
    Unless of course you want to change to a quality valve MM stage ........

I'm Steve.

Hi Alan,

I didn't realizes the head amp had been re-capped, only thought the lead on the back had been changed.
    Thanks for letting me know...
    Post now edited.
    Dont think i wish to go back to mm, sooo much more detail with the Mc, just wondered if i could
    get a little more from the cart by going to a dedicated mc phono stage.
    Guess i need to get need a Zyx some day.

Anyone got one they would like to part with???

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Alan,

I didn't realizes the head amp had been re-capped, only thought the lead on the back had been changed.
    Thanks for letting me know...
    Post now edited.
    Dont think i wish to go back to mm, sooo much more detail with the Mc, just wondered if i could
    get a little more from the cart by going to a dedicated mc phono stage.
    Guess i need to get need a Zyx some day.

Anyone got one they would like to part with???

Steve...
    Let me clarify a little,

I had a Rothwell MCX SUT, Denon HA-500 and the HA-10 here all at the same time.

Whilst they all performed admirably, the HA-10 wasn't necessarily "the best", it was my personal favourite.

The Denon had more detail and the soundstage on the MCX was deeper and wider BUT the HA-10 was more enjoyable to me. The MCX didn't work for me and I really still can't put my finger in why. The Denon wasn't a great match with the Kontrapunkt b due to probably both emphasising the detail aspect and the combo lost some soul. The HA-10 had bags of soul, and "enough" detail and when the low cost (compared to the other two) came into my mind it seemed like an utter bargain.

There's nothing wrong with the HA-10. It can be bettered mind you. A pair of HM-3's would smash it to shit for instance.

I'm Steve.

Default Replacement Head Amp?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Let me clarify a little,

I had a Rothwell MCX SUT, Denon HA-500 and the HA-10 here all at the same time.

Whilst they all performed admirably, the HA-10 wasn't necessarily "the best", it was my personal favourite.

The Denon had more detail and the soundstage on the MCX was deeper and wider BUT the HA-10 was more enjoyable to me. The MCX didn't work for me and I really still can't put my finger in why. The Denon wasn't a great match with the Kontrapunkt b due to probably both emphasising the detail aspect and the combo lost some soul. The HA-10 had bags of soul, and "enough" detail and when the low cost (compared to the other two) came into my mind it seemed like an utter bargain.

There's nothing wrong with the HA-10. It can be bettered mind you. A pair of HM-3's would smash it to shit for instance.
    Hi Oliver,
    Thanks for the comparison, Ive been more than happy so far with the HA - 10, as you say it has bags of soul, very musical indeed, I just thought i might have gotten a little more zing and snap with a mc phono stage change, I guess not . Perhaps its the limitation of the At33ptg cart.

No idea what HM-3s are.

Regards Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Hashimoto HM-3 SUT.

Very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver,
    Thanks for the comparison, Ive been more than happy so far with the HA - 10, as you say it has bags of soul, very musical indeed, I just thought i might have gotten a little more zing and snap with a mc phono stage change, I guess not . Perhaps its the limitation of the At33ptg cart.

No idea what HM-3s are.

Regards Steve...

I'm Alan.

Nice explanation Andy of the possibilities to achieve MC playback.

The HA-10 is quite an old design, no longer available of course, but with the limiting elderly capacitors replaced makes for a very good performing unit.
    I have not heard your Headspace but from what I can see it is very well thought out and a bit of a bargain to boot

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Thanks Alan. My thinking was that there are very few headamps available, so if I could make one is very low noise, has flexible gain and load options and is affordable, I could have a nice big slice of whatever market there is.
    I thought that was the Headspace !!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast