+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: That wedding

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I do wonder what the winner will do with all that money, and hope that he/she doesn't end up blowing the lot.
    I personally, would have no bother at all coping with say fifty million. None would be wasted. No daft motor yachts or Bentleys, etc. I'd buy a block of flats or two in a developing area for a start. My day to day life would change quite little from its present state apart from minor modest improvements!

It often occurs to me to feel sorry for those who have invested huge amounts in classic and vintage car collections. Can they not see what the future holds? The things will become unusable museum pieces before long and be next to worthless.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Must get a bit tricky when they need him to make an executive decision, what with him being dead and that for almost 2000 years.
    He was Jewish wasn't he? He certainly wasn't a Christian. As far as I can see, he just went around persuading others to become one. As in, believe in what he had to offer.

I'm Grant.

Must get a bit tricky when they need him to make an executive decision, what with him being dead and that for almost 2000 years.
    not really. they have a hotline
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I personally, would have no bother at all coping with say fifty million. None would be wasted. No daft motor yachts or Bentleys, etc. I'd buy a block of flats or two in a developing area for a start. My day to day life would change quite little from its present state apart from minor modest improvements!

It often occurs to me to feel sorry for those who have invested huge amounts in classic and vintage car collections. Can they not see what the future holds? The things will become unusable museum pieces before long and be next to worthless.
    This is really confusing. Why would you buy a block of flats? And in what universe will something like a Ferrari Daytona ever become worthless?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

This is really confusing. Why would you buy a block of flats? And in what universe will something like a Ferrari Daytona ever become worthless?
    Flats as an investment.

The Ferrari will become a large doorstop when service stations cease selling petrol, as they will eventually.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Flats as an investment.

The Ferrari will become a large doorstop when service stations cease selling petrol, as they will eventually.
    Like horses did when the internal combustion engine came along? You can't buy hay anywhere now.

I know what your saying but you will always be able to get petrol even when petrol engine cars become a minority hobby interest.

I'd also suggest that the top end of antique cars will always be valuable even if there was no way to run them. A lot of them are already museum pieces because they are too valuable to be driving them about.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

And if you'd won a fifty million on the lottery why would you need an investment? If you spent like a drunken sailor you'd still not run out of money before you copped it.

I'd be tempted to do a 'Brewster's Millions' and see how fast I could get through it
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Petrol will always be available in the future, but at a price, so only for those who can afford it. You will probably have to buy it from a hardware store/ironmongers; just as one did in times past.

The maintenance of out-dated technology is usually available at a price: solid tyres for collectors of 1920's cars; 8mm cine film; 35mm photographic film; magnetic recording tape; pick up cartridges to replay 78rpm records, etc.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Vinyl records...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

You both know what I was getting at.

When fuel becomes largely unobtainable for say a run to the coast and back. Cars like the Ferrari will as I said, become museum pieces with little practical use.

Sure, there'll be those who want one, same as there are blokes who keep steam traction engines (at great cost), for the odd event and trundle round the countryside (probably with a support crew following in a big van). Not ideal for dropping the kids at school each day though .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast