+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: That wedding

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, but there's a difference between being interested in something, and obsessed - and automatically assuming that your audience falls into the latter category, by using language which conveys that. Such, as: 'Aren't we all so excited about the wedding tomorrow?', which is something I heard on Good Morning Britain.
    That was your big mistake, watching Good Morning Britain.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... Del has it on in the morning to look at the time when she's getting ready for work! Yes, I know, there are plenty of other clocks in the house

Another example was the BBC's 'One Show', which for the whole week leading up the the royal wedding, hardly discussed anything else. I could go on... It would be just about tolerable if the news was filled with it, but when royal wedding obsession starts seeping into and dominating various other programmes, it's all just too much!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I did mean to watch the wedding (or at least have it on in the background while I did something else. But I forgot all about it until Geoff reminded me. So I don't know what category that puts me in. Certainly when I was younger I would have had no truck with it at all but now it does vaguely interest me. I quite like a bit of pomp and circumstance. I usually have The Trooping Of The Colour on too, if I remember that it is happening.
    Never have been interested in the Royal family, and never will be though I used to watch that Edinburgh Tattoo thing when I was a nipper. My wife watched most of the live broadcast, and the 'highlights' programme later on, but women are generally more interested in weddings, Royal or otherwise, than blokes are anyway.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Another example was the BBC's 'One Show'
    I've often wondered who watched that. Does it still have that ugly bloke, what's his name, Adrian Childs, presenting it?

No, he's left.

I think you're highlighting the problem that if you haven't watched certain TV programmes, you won't have been aware of how much the royal wedding has dominated them in the past week!

After all, it's very easy to avoid something you haven't seen... But if you watch those programmes, expecting the content to varied in the usual way, and instead all you hear about is the bloody royal wedding, well, you can see my point?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

It's a pretty rare event a royal wedding so I guess overkill takes place reporting on it especially in these days of 24 hour rolling news. I am a royalist but I don't bang on about it, history 'innit.
    As was commented on earlier we will get Wimbledon shoved down our throats soon and the world cup. Neither of these interest me and along with cricket and rugby I'd rather have experimental bowel surgery than sit through any of it. When we hosted the Olympics in 2012 the BBC opened up BBC3 24 hours to cover it, I know BBC3 is now internet only but if something similar was done for these events they might not irritate people so much, just a thought.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    It's a pretty rare event a royal wedding so I guess overkill takes place reporting on it especially in these days of 24 hour rolling news. I am a royalist but I don't bang on about it, history 'innit.
    I think the problem too is that you really need to be a flag-waving Brit, or a rampant royalist, to go 'all giddy' over royal weddings, and because I'm not (being first and foremost Italian, and not in any way a royalist), I simply can't relate to that mentality. If it's your 'bag' though, then fill your boots

What I have a (big) problem with, is the BBC (or any other broadcaster) essentially dictating to me what I should be 'excited' about.

As was commented on earlier we will get Wimbledon shoved down our throats soon and the world cup. Neither of these interest me and along with cricket and rugby I'd rather have experimental bowel surgery than sit through any of it.
    Indeed, but as I said earlier, I don't see any of those dominating all sorts of other programmes, which have nothing to do with sport, to anything like such an extent as did coverage of the build up to the royal wedding.

I'd be confident that I could sit and watch a cookery programme all way through, and not hear any mention of, say, the Olympics.

That's the difference!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

If you're going to watch stuff like The One Show, Good Morning Britain and cooking shows that's that sort of thing your going to get. Those programmes are not aimed at your demographic. They are aimed at people who love weddings, celebrities and royals though.

I watched the FA cup final yesterday and there was no mention of the royal wedding. Then I watched 'Buck Rogers In The 25th Century' and you'd have thought that there was no royal wedding happening so studiously did they ignore the subject.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

If you're going to watch stuff like The One Show, Good Morning Britain and cooking shows that's that sort of thing your going to get. Those programmes are not aimed at your demographic. They are aimed at people who love weddings, celebrities and royals though.
    Lol - so what if I enjoy their content otherwise, should I just be expected suffer royal wedding mania? The programmes concerned are aimed at people who, at any other time, enjoy their normal content. I never watch the One Show or Good Morning Britain for royal wedding or banal celebrity nonsense.

I watch the One Show sometimes, depending on what guests they have on. If it's someone I like, then I watch it solely for that reason, or if they're covering a social welfare issue that interests me. And Good Morning Britain is simply on in the background whilst Del gets ready for work, although I do like when Piers Morgan, in his inimitable style, is laying into some unfortunate politician

The problem, as I've said before, is applying a blanket presumption on the likes or dislikes of your target audience. I should be able to cherry-pick what I want to see with such programmes, without being stopped from doing so, because something I have no interest in whatsoever has taken over the whole programme!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm inactive.

I watched the FA cup final yesterday and there was no mention of the royal wedding. Then I watched 'Buck Rogers In The 25th Century' and you'd have thought that there was no royal wedding happening so studiously did they ignore the subject.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast