+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre amp matching

I'm Steve.

Default Pre amp matching

Yesterday I bought a glass house passive pre that I had owned previously.i also collected a trafomatic elegance 2 power amp (300B) in the hope of using them both together.

The pre has to be wound around 3/4 of the way to get any sound and with the pot fully open I still only get a low to moderate level of volume.. No distortion or similar even with the pot at full vol.

Is this just a matching issue? I heard the power amp working at the sellers using a naim all in one type thing as the pre.

Is it just a case that this power amp needs an active type pre??

I'm Phil.

i was just pondering that question myself , having tried rather a lot of pre amps like you guys have too

i have only heard of being only able to turn vol knob a few mm and its too loud

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...assive.215410/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Power amp is not sensitive enough for a passive, you will need an active pre or a buffer with gain betwixt the passive and the power amp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

You haven't got anything I could try just to prove the Power amp have you Mart?

I'm Martin.

I've a couple of integrated amps where the pre amp can be split from the power amp. A Harmon Kardon and an XTZ. Not world beating pre amp sections but will drive any power amp. You're welcome to have a borrow.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Cheers Mart i only want to prove it's working ok. I'll drop you a Pm

I'm James.

I think you need to take the source into account as well mate. If it has a low output then an active will be required, if it's powerful then a passive may be appropriate. This all ignores impedance matching. If it is a valve stage with unusually high output impedance it may be losing gain driving the passive (though realistically this is not very probable). What is your source driving the amps, and If you trust it why not connect it direct to the power amp and play some known quiet music to see how loud it is? For gawds sake don't choose anything noisy or you could do the speakers some mischief!

Gain and output are not standardised across manufacturers so these compatibility issues seem rather too common.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

I'm using a chevron paradox dac but it was just as quiet using my old pioneer PDS9o5 CD player

I'm James.

Ok, Chevron is off my radar but the Pioneer would be up to the task. Are you sure the tubes in the power amp are all sound?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Slightly left field, but I have a very nice sounding Moth Series 30 active pre-amp that has high output and drives insensitive power amps very well. I have too many pre-amps and the Moth is not in use at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast