+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pre amp matching

I'm inactive.

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but if you bought the Glasshouse pre as a 'used' item it might be worth checking if a previous owner has adapted or fitted any pre-attenuation resistor set-up.

I have a 50k stepped attenuator passive (not Glasshouse) and had no problems driving the 0.5v required for an SS power amp other than not being able to turn it past the first few steps without rattling the windows. To remedy this I needed to add a pre-attenuation set - using a guide offered on the Goldpoint website.

I'm Steve.

Ok I've confirmed there is no issue with the passive pre.. .it sounds fantastic. So...basically the power amp sounds like it's in a reduced output set back mode. No distortion or anything like that. Sounds beautiful...just quiet. As it's both channels I'm wondering if it's the central valve rather than one of the output valves.

I'm Geoff.

Input impedance/sensitivity?

I'm Steve.

I've heard off the designer who states that it needs a high gain pre amp as it is a 3v input sensitivity. Obviously that doesn't mean much to me... but it may explain things?

How do I find a high gain pre amp?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    Quad?

Or, I could lend you my Moth Series 30 to try. It sounds very good with my valve monos.

I'm Neil.

I've heard off the designer who states that it needs a high gain pre amp as it is a 3v input sensitivity. Obviously that doesn't mean much to me... but it may explain things?

That is a very very low input sensitivity indeed. My amp is 0.4V input sensitivity!

Bear in mind that the higher the preamp gain, the higher the noise and distortion, so it should still be kept as low as possible.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Steve.

Thats great, thank you. Would a croft micro 25 do the job?

I'm Phil.

i am not an expert but elite audio have a 12 month old vtl 2.5 which is 1295 on ebay and 1795 on their site !!

it has adjustable gain

https://vtl.com/products/preamplifiers/tl-2-5i/

8dB or 14dB (user selectable)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTL-2-5i-...4AAOSwfoNaaKcE
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm George.

That certainly does explain it and of course, passive preamps are not feasible. Oddly enough all the amps on their web page including the Evolution 2 (300B) all have reasonable sensitivity. I assume it is an older model. Going for an active preamp means the world is your shell-like. Valve or SS? Budget? etc...

I'm Steve.

Around £600 max really as I was originally planning to use it with the £165 glasshouse! Thinking Croft 25 unless sonething tasty comes along at a bargain price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast