+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre amp matching

I'm George.

The power amplifier has a sensitivity of 0.5V rms which with the output of your CD player of 2V is enough signal to overload your power amplifiers. There needs to be more data to see if the impedances are mismatched. If it is an impedance mismatch then a simple buffer circuit could solve the problem. Persevere as the power amplifier is excellent and a passive preamp gives a tremendous purity to the sound which your SET can take full advantage of.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Ok, Chevron is off my radar but the Pioneer would be up to the task. Are you sure the tubes in the power amp are all sound?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    I have a Chevron Paradox DAC as well and have used it via a passive preamp (Tisbury not Glasshouse) into many different power amps and never had to open up the pot (certainly not past 12 o/c).

How long are your interconnects? Try shorter ones (say 0.5m each side).

Following not for the feint hearted: if you have a 3.5mm to RCA cord try connecting your phone/ipad/tablet directly to the power amp. But ensure (double and triple check) that volume is zero on the phone/ipad/tablet and then very gradually bring the vol up. You should not have to bring the vol up much to get adequate output.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Paul.

Was the Glasshouse pre a kit? Could be wired wrong as your source should have plenty output to drive the amp to full output.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Good point.

I'm Steve.

I've used the passive with other bits of kit when i owned it previously and it's been ok. (Quad 909).

What is a buffer circuit by the way.

Thanks for the info so far chaps

I'm Geoff.

I believe the Quad 909 has high input sensitivity and does not need much driving. A pre-amp that works with it may not have enough output in other situations.

I'm Steve.

This is why I stick to integrated amps!

I'm Lawrence.

And why I stick to well matched pres and powers!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

How about the Velleman pre on here in Take5's sale of Vinny's old system?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourney View Post
    I've used the passive with other bits of kit when i owned it previously and it's been ok. (Quad 909).

What is a buffer circuit by the way.

Thanks for the info so far chaps
    As far as I can see from what's written above, the input level your power amp isn't unusual. That's why I wondered about the valves in the amp. If you have a few spares, including a valve rectifier if it has one, it would be worth a swap to at least eliminate that variable.

Since youve had this exact passive before I assumed you'd know it's input and output arrangents.

Re. Buffers they offer high input impedance and low output impedance which makes them a useful interface between bits of kit. They usually have no gain and are considered more or less transparent depending on your point of view.
    Their main use is to present a high impedance input to a source with a highish impedance output stage (like some valve preamps) so gain is not lost there, whilst presenting a very low impedance output to drive the low impedance input stage of a power amp (like pro equipment, class d amps, and the like), ensuring gain is not further lost there.
    However solid state sources tend to have low output impedances, and valve amps high input impedances, so it's fairly unlikely to be of benefit in your set up, though passives can muddy the water a bit...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast