+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stan's Magic SuperCap Box in Development

I'm Lee.

Default Stan's Magic SuperCap Box in Development

I just wanted to give folks a heads-up to look out for a little magic box that Stan is building. I'm lucky to be able to have one of his prototypes for a new SuperCap Power Supply Augmenter. (I'm not sure what Stan will actually call it when it goes into production, but that will do for now.) It's a little box that you plug between the power supply and the DAC. It takes a few minutes to initially charge up the supercap, then the music just flows out of the DAC with every subtle nuance that I didn't know I was missing. This is real. Before I was using a Chinese 15v linear supply into my SEG Caiman and was very happy with that setup, but once I plugged in the little supercap box there was no going back. Horns, strings, percussion, bass, voice ... all now even more present and substantial in my listening room. I'm sure Stan will have more to say when he gets it ready to market. I hope others will soon be able to enjoy this great music maker as much as I am now. Thanks Stan!!!

I'm Bart.

Thanks for sharing a good news Lee!

I'm Steven.

Stan's own S-Booster (Stanbooster)? 😄
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

I'm AndrewR.

Exciting. This could be what I am looking for. I guess it will work with the Caiman II.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Cor.

Anaconda; Stingray; Electric Eel; Audiocoil; StreamSpicer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Wi View Post
    Stan's own S-Booster (Stanbooster)? ��

I'm Gareth.

Saw this on another forum. Sounds like a winner, will be waiting patiently for it’s release.

I'm AndrewR.

Here’s an idea. I was wondering if it will be in a similar black box to the Chinese LPSUs many of us use. If so, then it would be a very good move to keep the visual match.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I just wanted to give folks a heads-up to look out for a little magic box that Stan is building. I'm lucky to be able to have one of his prototypes for a new SuperCap Power Supply Augmenter. (I'm not sure what Stan will actually call it when it goes into production, but that will do for now.) It's a little box that you plug between the power supply and the DAC. It takes a few minutes to initially charge up the supercap, then the music just flows out of the DAC with every subtle nuance that I didn't know I was missing. This is real. Before I was using a Chinese 15v linear supply into my SEG Caiman and was very happy with that setup, but once I plugged in the little supercap box there was no going back. Horns, strings, percussion, bass, voice ... all now even more present and substantial in my listening room. I'm sure Stan will have more to say when he gets it ready to market. I hope others will soon be able to enjoy this great music maker as much as I am now. Thanks Stan!!!
    I think I want one! :-)
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Paul.

Default Supercaps

HI - Stan or anyone,

Is/will the new supercap power supply intended to be used as well as, or instead of, the previous mod to the SEG that Stan did if you sent him your existing unit? (and is this mod still available?)

If instead of, then is this another way of achieving the same upgrade?, (possibly with less hassle for Stan)

if as well as, do they both have similar benefits, or is one more effective than the other?

I'm currently running my un-modded SEG with the dual linear supply (15V+5V) from ebay. Should I have it upgraded now, or wait till the new PSU becomes available?
    khozmo passive pre/nytech ca252/cxa252 amps, arc 101 speakers
    vinyl: --- lp12/kore/lingo4/ekos2/dv 10x5/gs accession
    digital: --- caiman SEG/allo digione, synology nas, rotel 965 cd

You can have the SEG upgraded at any time. The upgrade adds a bit more headroom and dynamic range when used with 15V.
    The upcoming PSU can be used with 12V and 15V.
    The standard SEG can be used with 12 and 15V.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast