+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another 'binary' test.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I fear many men do that test on a regular basis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    . I've done another test where my better half says something and then I seem have no recollection of what was said at all
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Ralph.

Laurel for me but why should I give a shit anyway
    Ralph.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Just did the test again, one ear at a time, with my left ear, I hear Yanny, with my right ear, I hear something that more resembles Laurel.
    Try it.
    A..
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Tony.

Default Another 'binary' test.

Never mind “Yanni” & “Laurel”, check this out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmagicf...edle_based_on/

*apologies for some of the rich language in link and comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm David.

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Laurel
    Yanny who?

I'm Ade.

I only heard Yanny in a distorted way. Age 52 and a few months. Ears suffer with Tinnitus, right ear can't detect over 12kHz.
    From a Samsung S5 phone. I'm sure if I play it through my Linn Ds a veil will lift and I'll clearly hear voices telling me to go kill the neighbour.
    Not that I really need any encouragement...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Never mind “Yanni” & “Laurel”, check this out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackmagicf...edle_based_on/

*apologies for some of the rich language in link and comments.

Seriously, check this out, takes “Yanni” & “Laurel” to another level!

A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcelmonkey View Post
    I only heard Yanny in a distorted way. Age 52 and a few months. Ears suffer with Tinnitus, right ear can't detect over 12kHz.
    From a Samsung S5 phone. I'm sure if I play it through my Linn Ds a veil will lift and I'll clearly hear voices telling me to go kill the neighbour.
    Not that I really need any encouragement...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I have only heard the test via radio (the first, a cheap digital jobbie in London, the second a Roberts, in Chelmsford and each was tuned to a different station; not that that should make a difference). The first time I heard LAUREN (and not "Laurel"), but the more the test was repeated the more it sounded to me like Laurel.

Unlike optical illusions which can appear as one of two different pictures depending on one's viewpoint, but when the second image is pointed out, it becomes easy to see, and one can 'switch' between the two versions. But try as I might, I can't hear YANNY, though I can detect a nasal "N" in the sound.

According to experts, the ambiguity arises because both names have the same number of syllables and have equal energy content; one name occupies a lower frequency range, the second a higher frequency range.
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

I hear nothing but Yanny, not matter how hard I try.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dennis.

This is interesting, and the internal database/reference/context is always involved in perception. There must be analogues to the two optical illusions I know; The beautiful young girl and the old hag, and The rotating woman.

Spectral distribution will obviously be better perceived by the young, my right ear has lost above 6k now, but I did win a court case against the perpetrators which enabled me to buy my Betas.

Does anyone else have difficulty with understanding some speech by younger people, the formants having changed very much over the last few decades?

To me whole phonemes are often missing from current speech, and an explosive tympanic style has taken over with a bass prominence, as opposed to a subtley laced series of interweaving sounds.

I find current films badly recorded speech wise compared with 60s and 70s films, and little attention paid to attempting to recreate a natural voice sound. People in a desert do not sound like they are in a wardrobe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast