+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Going On A Diet

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Three quarters of a stone gone in a month without really trying. All I've done is up the fruit 'n veg intake. Just over 11 stone now, was nearly twelve not far back. Remember, I'm not a big guy and should be around ten and a half stone.
    Well done Geoff

Much of my diet is also made up of salad & veg now
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Well I've lost just over a stone but seem to have plateaued a bit
    This does happen and is quite common Bev.

There is a lot of science now in support of what's called a 'set point' where your body will attempt to defend what it considers your normal weight. When you go below your set point, appetite and metabolism can adjust to try and return you to your set point, in simple terms it tries to store energy (fat) rather than burn it. Your metabolism can slow in an attempt to conserve energy and to try and use the fewer calories it receives more effectively. Many people who diet experience uncontrollable urges to binge, because their bodies ask for more food than is being provided and what it is used to.

This goes a long way in explaining why rapid weight loss often fails, with many people returning to the weight they were or even gaining weight in the long term. Set point's can be altered but it takes time and losing weight slowly by lifestyle changes as opposed to short term calorie restriction is often preferable.

It's not easy I know, I've been there, but keep at it as the long term rewards outweigh the short term pain. So I wish you the very best on your journey
    Last edited by Tim; 22-07-2018 at 10:01.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Martin.

If you keep taking in less calories than you burn then you will lose weight, there's not really any more to it.

Losing a stone in weight is pretty good going, that's a lot if you're only little. You must be noticing a significant difference in how you feel.

Oh and vegetables are full of carbs by the way
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

A slow drop is what you want, after the initial quick drop is over. The body does regroup and tries to reduce its loses, but you will lose weight if you dont eat(thats not the way though). Trick is to get body and mind both happy with what you are eating. I ve lost a lot of weight but its very slow. waist is down a lot as is everything else i guess. still a long way to go, but to do it right it takes a long time, just as it took a long time to put it all on. Always drink plenty of water tho...most important and try and avoid refined sugars.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Losing a stone in weight is pretty good going
    I lost 6 stone Martin over a period of 2 and a bit years, I didn't go on what people would call a 'diet' either, tried those and they never worked for me.

As you say it's actually very simple, just burn more than you consume and you lose weight - the hard bit is doing it!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I lost 6 stone Martin over a period of 2 and a bit years, I didn't go on what people would call a 'diet' either, tried those and they never worked for me.

As you say it's actually very simple, just burn more than you consume and you lose weight - the hard bit is doing it!
    6 stone! I guess you are quite big anyway though?

I've never had to diet to lose weight. Years ago when I was in training I used to eat 6000 calories a day. Put about half a stone on over 3 years. Lost it as soon as I stopped. I'm just not destined to be fat I guess.

Know a few females who are always on some type of weight loss diet or other. These things are just designed to confuse the ignorant and sell diet products. Calories in vs calories out is all that matters for weight loss or gain, if you want to eat healthy that's a different topic entirely. They do these diets where almost everything has 'points' and you can eat so many points a day. Some things are free, like fruit even though it is fairly high in calories. They try to avoid fat because they think eating fat makes you fat, they try to avoid sugar but don't understand that all carbs are sugar.

Tried to point out that fruit is full of sugar but they don't get it. When you try to explain the difference between simple and complex carbs or why fat doesn't make you fat their eyes glaze over. Can't understand why anyone would embark on a diet without researching nutrition and diet properly first but it takes all sorts I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    6 stone! I guess you are quite big anyway though?
    Actually no, I was between 11˝ and 12 stone most of my adult life and pretty active. Then I got an office job at 50 which was very intense and was literally chained to a desk for around 9 hours a day, often more. My food intake stayed about the same, but my activity levels dropped and there were bribes in the form of food (cakes/biscuits/savouries) from people who had an 'important' job that needed doing fast! It took 6 years, but my weight went up to 18˝ stone without me really doing much about it, denial I guess - I just kept buying bigger clothes and my waist size went up to 42". I also kind of thought I felt crap because I was getting older, but now I've lost the weight I know that was denial too.

"Tried to point out that fruit is full of sugar but they don't get it. When you try to explain the difference between simple and complex carbs or why fat doesn't make you fat their eyes glaze over. Can't understand why anyone would embark on a diet without researching nutrition and diet properly first but it takes all sorts I suppose"
    This was key, I knew conventional diets didn't work for me and were mostly a money making marketing exercise. A calorie isn't just a calorie when it comes to losing weight successfully. I spent many hours learning about nutrition, religiously kept a food diary and never ate anything low fat or diet food related, which apart from tasting horrible, I don't consider good for you and the science backs that up. Learning about my body type helped too, especially how I process carbohydrates as I'm an Endomorph.

My biggest issue is I love food and I'm not a bad cook. I cook from scratch all the time even though it's just me, but always cook in bulk - so I have a problem with portion control and returning to the pot for more, even when I know I've had enough! So it's healthy food, just more than I need at times. Got a handle on it now though (most of the time ).
    Last edited by Tim; 22-07-2018 at 12:03.

I reverted to Slimming World a few weeks ago and it's a very healthy diet but calling it a diet is just wrong as it's more a way of life really

I'm not going to any SW meetings as I find those so boring but one of my best friends wife is a Slimming World consultant so she's given me the appropriate books etc

Slimming World is so easy to follow and although I'm not losing the weight that I did on the 'crash diet' the weight is still coming off steadily, which is nice
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

I reverted to Boozing World this week. I'm eating sensibly though.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reverted to Boozing World this week. I'm eating sensibly though.

Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast