+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from the republic of Rochdale

I'm frank.

Default Hello from the republic of Rochdale

Hello, my name is Frank, and I find myself currently unemployable, which has given me time to try and repair some inherited vintage record players. I have a Sherwood turntable with a Pioneer A204 amp and Morduant MS500 speakers. In addition to a Kenwood J3030 200 cd multi player.

A 1960’s Radiogram with a Garrard 1025t turntable (mostly working) and a Garrard 125sb turntable (not yet working), and a Garrard AP76 that just needs a cartridge carrier.

I like to listen to a varying bunch of stuff, from old school soul music like the Temptations, Sly Stone and the Isley brothers as well old folkies like John Martyn, Richard Thompson and anything Danny Thompson has played on.
    I have joined up in the hope that I can learn a bit about which cartridges would work best with the vintage stuff and hopefully where to find them.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Frank. Welcome to AOS.

Vintage gear is very popular here, so I'm sure you can get some well informed opinions.

If you want to know about cartridges, why not start a thread in the Analogue Arts section or for vintage cartridges, the Past Masters area.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you, there's plenty going on and everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Welcome aboard Frank.

Good to get local folk involved.

What specifically about old cartridges do you want to know, there is lots of info on Vinyl Engine if you have looked at that yet? although there is a wealth of info on here too.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Frank.

Always good to learn of members refurbishing older vintage and classical gear.

Regarding your enquiry concerning suitable cartridges for your Garrard turntables: look at vinylengine,com, for some guidance. If it were me I would be looking at the Shure M31, M32 and M44 series as well as some Goldring catridges (G800) and some Japanese manufacturers such as Audio Technica (I once used an Audio Technica AT66 in a Garrard SP25). With the exception of the Garrard AP75, I would only consider cartridges fitted with a spherical tip.

Nice tastes in music BTW.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm frank.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies and the welcome, very useful. The main thing about the old cartridges is finding the dam carriers. All of them seem to have a unique carrier and aren't in any way interchangeable, non on three I've got. I will look out for the cartridges that Barry has listed on E-bay.

I'm alain.

Good to hear (oops pun alert!) about old kit being refurbished and not thrown away. Curious to know how the 60s radiogram sounds. We used to have one that that used radiogram needles.
    Marantz HD AMP 1, Marantz HD CD1 both on Oak Cone feet, Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers on Norstone Stylum Stands with Soundcare Superspikes.
    HiFi in Touch Oak distribution block, RA Mains powerkord 100, RA Yello with Wattgate IECs and MCRU Ag plated mains plugs, Atlas Ascent Ultra digital coax, TQ Ultra Blue speaker cable

+ Reply to Thread