+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonostage Bake-Off - 08/07/18 - Penkridge *NOW CONFIRMED*

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Only teasing. I think a few folk are trying to work out what is on your T shirt!
    No worries, it's good to have a decent sense of humour.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Clearly not the listening environment that I would like, and not one which would allow me to assess sublties in SQ. IMO, there is a 'correct' listening level, or volume for all types of music: too loud and the performers sound too large, or are playing 'giant' instruments; too soft and they sound as if they are playing far too far away. Anyway as in all matters subjective, YMMV.
    Let's have it right,

The speakers were at a maximum of 3m away from the front row. At times, the Volume level did seem to creep up but as Macca said, never did the Krell light it's 3rd and in the main, the Volume was "adequate"

In the earlier pics, the seats were further away but this was during setup and we weren't sure of where the speakers would end up. Both the speakers and the chairs moved nearer to each other.

During the bake off the volume level was fairly consistent, it was after this when the Urei's went in and it got WAY too loud. At that point, there was no way for me to discern anything because it was just too loud.

It was very easy to hear differences between the phonostages and has been mentioned, the system certainly showed everything in its full glory.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The listeners (all one of them! ), appear to be seated a long distance away from the speakers. I wasn't there, so I cannot comment, but if was, I would prefer to sit somewhat closer.

Excellent photos BTW.,
    Thats me the seats were moved much closer before starting the Bakeoff
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Lee.

A slight change to the EAR since the bake-off, and I must say for the better, it’s now been Firebottled. Called into Alan’s last night for some more tweaking, Alan popped it back round this evening, not sure what the mods are but it’s definitely for the better.

Nice one Alan much appreciated, thank you

Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Brian.

Excellent photos , thanks chaps
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm John.

From my recollection, the volume control dials white dot, was seen from 11 0 Clock around to 4 0 Clock. These settings were not dictated by preferences to volume, but attempts to match the volumes of the different amps due to gain differences between the models. I think in general the volumes chosen were a close match.
    The Amused to Death Wild Card and Dire Straits Wild Card tracks, start very quietly, so the volume might have been a little off for these, when the full performance kicks in.
    I sat in listening positions from the front row, mid row, back row. Standing behind the seating, and right back to being seated on the stages access steps.
    The space behind the seating sung when in the standing position using the focals.
    The monitors required a lower ear position, sitting at the rear worked great for me.
    The simple solution to keep the volumes matched might be to use a SPL Metre.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    From my recollection, the volume control dials white dot, was seen from 11 0 Clock around to 4 0 Clock. These settings were not dictated by preferences to volume, but attempts to match the volumes of the different amps due to gain differences between the models. I think in general the volumes chosen were a close match.
    The Amused to Death Wild Card and Dire Straits Wild Card tracks, start very quietly, so the volume might have been a little off for these, when the full performance kicks in.
    I sat in listening positions from the front row, mid row, back row. Standing behind the seating, and right back to being seated on the stages access steps.
    The space behind the seating sung when in the standing position using the focals.
    The monitors required a lower ear position, sitting at the rear worked great for me.
    The simple solution to keep the volumes matched might be to use a SPL Metre.
    Good points John, we will make sure we do a better job of this at the next one just for continuity.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    A slight change to the EAR since the bake-off, and I must say for the better, it’s now been Firebottled. Called into Alan’s last night for some more tweaking, Alan popped it back round this evening, not sure what the mods are but it’s definitely for the better.

Nice one Alan much appreciated, thank you

Lee,

How much modding have you done to yours? Does your's have the Dual mono PSU, Thorstens Mods, or the Special tight tolerance component pack (I like that) which can be bought from John over in the USA? I got Alan to mod my own clone, I can't believe that it finished 5th!

Andy
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Both records have an especially wide dynamic range so that would be a contributor. They are actually intended to be listened to at those sorts of levels for best effect. I did notice Oli using the 'master fader' at some points on those two (I.E the remote control volume).

The direct to disc classical recording that Alan brought along was also tremendous. I'm not much for classical as a rule but that captivated me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Lee,

How much modding have you done to yours? Does your's have the Dual mono PSU, Thorstens Mods, or the Special tight tolerance component pack (I like that) which can be bought from John over in the USA? I got Alan to mod my own clone, I can't believe that it finished 5th!

Andy
    It was in unmodified state at the bake-off Andy, the mods done only today have lifted it a lot. It wouldn't be 5th now.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast