+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonostage Bake-Off - 08/07/18 - Penkridge *NOW CONFIRMED*

Bigman80 Guest

The speakers were ulled away from the wall and the seats moved closer. The distance between the seats was fine and space behind the speakers really helped too. Turned out pretty good in the end. The first couple of tracks sounded terrible lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The listeners (all one of them! ), appear to be seated a long distance away from the speakers. I wasn't there, so I cannot comment, but if was, I would prefer to sit somewhat closer.

Excellent photos BTW.,

I'm Panos.

The listeners (all one of them! ), appear to be seated a long distance away from the speakers. I wasn't there, so I cannot comment, but if was, I would prefer to sit somewhat closer.

Excellent photos BTW.,
    Yes, indeed. I would very much agree with Barry. My opinion may not be considered as objective, because I am a near-field listener, but still it seems that the seats were rather far from the speakers. YMMV.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Martin.

The SPL was such that you would not want to sit any closer, it would have been uncomfortable.

I was a bit concerned when the Roger Water's Amused To Death album was playing that I would be taking my speakers home in bits but they managed to get through it. Some serious dynamic swings on that recording.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80
    The speakers were pulled away from the wall and the seats moved closer. The distance between the seats was fine and space behind the speakers really helped too. Turned out pretty good in the end. The first couple of tracks sounded terrible lol
    Ah I did wonder as in the photo showing the Urei speakers, the seats are placed closer. Though by that stage in the proceedings extra seats might have been added.

From the photos the acoustics of the room would appear to be 'hard', though I would imagine the irregular shape and size of the room helped matters.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The SPL was such that you would not want to sit any closer, it would have been uncomfortable.

I was a bit concerned when the Roger Water's Amused To Death album was playing that I would be taking my speakers home in bits but they managed to get through it. Some serious dynamic swings on that recording.
    Clearly not the listening environment that I would like, and not one which would allow me to assess sublties in SQ. IMO, there is a 'correct' listening level, or volume for all types of music: too loud and the performers sound too large, or are playing 'giant' instruments; too soft and they sound as if they are playing far too far away. Anyway as in all matters subjective, YMMV.
    Barry

I'm James.

Clearly not the listening environment that I would like, and not one which would allow me to assess sublties in SQ. IMO, there is a 'correct' listening level, or volume for all types of music: too loud and the performers sound too large, or are playing 'giant' instruments; too soft and they sound as if they are playing far too far away. Anyway as in all matters subjective, YMMV.
    You are correct Barry the room was a bit hard and suspended wooded floor did not help. But we could all still pick up the differences between the phono stages.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

In a hall that size there was not really much option but the sound was clean and I did not notice any clipping, the amp never went into the third bias stage even. It wasn't at all difficult to hear the differences IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nial.

Differences were readily apparent, even if being able to state a preference was not always possible.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Wohoo some decent pictures at last - who's the prat in the silly trousers?
    Watch it you
    That's my trademark.

You might be able to just see the joke in the mirror
    Last edited by Firebottle; 10-07-2018 at 12:17. Reason: Joke

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Watch it you
    That's my trademark.

You might be able to just see the joke in the mirror
    Only teasing. I think a few folk are trying to work out what is on your T shirt!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast