+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonostage Bake-Off - 08/07/18 - Penkridge *NOW CONFIRMED*

I'm Panos.

Hi James,

I am also in search of a new phono stage. It would have been great to put a 'real' Croft RIAA phono stage against the lot and see how it would fare. Personally, I would also be curious about a Paradise phono stage, which -although from the SS camp- has received rave reviews.

In any case, bake-offs can be so informative and eye-opening in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think you are right Panos, the 25R phono stage does have the Croft sound but is more simple than the RIAA phono stages. i have asked the question of Glenn too and there is not enough room to put the RIAA phono stage in the 25R.

I expect the RIAA R and RS to sound significantly better! and they are where I will be heading in the future.

On the day of the bake off the basic Croft phono stage sounded great even amongst very good company.
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Maybe we should run the bake off again!
    You can lug that bloody Krell around if we're going to do it again. My back feels like I spent the whole day yesterday doing deadlifts.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by pankon View Post
    Hi James,

I am also in search of a new phono stage. It would have been great to put a 'real' Croft RIAA phono stage against the lot and see how it would fare. Personally, I would also be curious about a Paradise phono stage, which -although from the SS camp- has received rave reviews.

In any case, bake-offs can be so informative and eye-opening in most cases.
    I have heard the Paradise phono stage - It is very good. I have not heard a Croft RIAA / RIAA R / RIAA RS but I should imagine they are fabulous. The few reports I have read say they are very very good. Pity you cannot get one to try?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Still no pictures?

I'm Rob.

Good Afternoon Gents,

Firstly apologies for my absence. I’ve had a cold for a few days and a persistent cough. The cough was doing my head in and it would’ve been unfair of me to show up with a cold and a cough which would be very distracting for everyone else in attendance. I did contact Oliver at the 11th hour to let him know I wouldn’t be coming.

I was gutted I couldn’t attend. From what I’ve read it sounds like a great time was had by all. I’m pleased it went well.

Keep the reports coming.

Cheers
    Rob
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sounds like everybody had a great time!

I wonder how things would have stacked up if the valve units had been tried first and the solid state afterwards? You know how it is when listening to various equipment over an extended period. Impressions change.
    My thoughts exactly, though I was pleased to see the Aqvox did well, despite being run in unbalanced mode.

Anyway it sound as though a great time was had by all; congratulations to Oli for organising it and to all those that brought along the gear.

When we get to see some photos, it would be nice to see a list of the music played.
    Barry

I'm Brian.

Aye , sounds like you all had a great time and thanks to Oliver for doing all the hard work to make the day a success . I'm really enjoying all the comments
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

I took a fair amount but they won't upload to the forum. I think the file size is too big. Should have taken them on my phone.

I'll try and resize them and get them on tomorrow. Jimbo took a lot of pics so maybe he will help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Still no pictures?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmass View Post
    Good Afternoon Gents,

Firstly apologies for my absence. I’ve had a cold for a few days and a persistent cough. The cough was doing my head in and it would’ve been unfair of me to show up with a cold and a cough which would be very distracting for everyone else in attendance. I did contact Oliver at the 11th hour to let him know I wouldn’t be coming.

I was gutted I couldn’t attend. From what I’ve read it sounds like a great time was had by all. I’m pleased it went well.

Keep the reports coming.

Cheers
    Rob
    Don't worry Rob, we will do it again next year. It was a fun day and I enjoyed it massively. Unfortunately, I'm now trying to workout how to afford a new SUT and VAS phonostage

I'm James.

I will try and get some photos on tonight. Unfortunately I did not get one of the VAS!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast