+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonostage Bake-Off - 08/07/18 - Penkridge *NOW CONFIRMED*

I'm Guy.

I'd need to check whether I'm free. July gets busy with family commitments.

The level matching is crucial but you'll also need to decide whether this is an MM shoot out or MC. Some stages like the Paradise are only MC if memory serves.

I'm Alan.

Has anyone got a test record with continuous tones on it?

I can bring an oscilloscope so levels can be accurately matched.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    I'd need to check whether I'm free. July gets busy with family commitments.

The level matching is crucial but you'll also need to decide whether this is an MM shoot out or MC. Some stages like the Paradise are only MC if memory serves.
    It'll be MC but if someone wants to throw an MM stage in, maybe FB could provide a standardised Head amp for he day? I'll have to look into it.

I'm Guy.

The other thing it'd be handy to check would be the Eq accuracy. A noise source (test CD) & an accurate inverse RIAA are needed. Also some means of capturing the output.

I've a friend who has a lovely, lush sounding, home built LCR stage. He knows that it deviates from the prescribed curve quite a bit but sounds so sweet as is, he has no inclination to change it & I've heard plenty of 'accurate' stages that sound far worse! That kind of deviation can make a stage stand out, often favourably.

I'm jamie.

the nak has both mm and mc,i can also bring the denon ha500 head amp too.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    The other thing it'd be handy to check would be the Eq accuracy. A noise source (test CD) & an accurate inverse RIAA are needed. Also some means of capturing the output.

I've a friend who has a lovely, lush sounding, home built LCR stage. He knows that it deviates from the prescribed curve quite a bit but sounds so sweet as is, he has no inclination to change it & I've heard plenty of 'accurate' stages that sound far worse! That kind of deviation can make a stage stand out, often favourably.
    Ok, RIAA curve accuracy probably would be a good measurement. I don't want to get too scientific though as often the best judgment is with the ears.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    the nak has both mm and mc,i can also bring the denon ha500 head amp too.
    Good bit of kit that is. Yup, no harm it being here mate.

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ok, RIAA curve accuracy probably would be a good measurement. I don't want to get too scientific though as often the best judgment is with the ears.
    Quite agree. It has to be fun but it's surprisingly easy to be swayed by frequency response deviations and unmatched levels. For it to be a meaningful exercise there needs to be some control even if any odd measurements are referred to & acknowledged in the subsequent discussion.

I'm Geoff.

I'm not sure expectations at a bake off are likely to quite be the same as those from laboratory condition trials.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not sure expectations at a bake off are likely to quite be the same as those from laboratory condition trials.
    I see the value in it but let's be honest, it's more about the listening and enjoying. After all, that's what we do at home. Feel free to measure anything the owner give permission to, I wouldn't deprive anyone of any information they wanted to gain from the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast