+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Yes either way I would like to teahouse them if I can. The mid and top are astonishing it is only the lower registers letting them down. Adding an active subwoofer* is always an option assuming it can be integrated well.

Steve

*sorry for swearing
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If the speakers sound well balanced, there is no reason why the existing crossover can't be used unless it employs bass equalisation, which is unlikely.

Personally, I think trying to retune the bottom end with the existing cabinets will not be rewarding (beside the fact that the are not the prettiest things about). I owned the foregoing and very similar V12 model and know their limitations.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

So Tannoy have got back to me to confirm that the model number of the driver is 3201...

Steve

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Dave.

Did this project ever get off the ground? I similarly just picked up a pair of VX12 is great condition and they sound amazing but are a little light on the low end. Building a cabinet is something I could handle if I didn't have to do all the math.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean View Post
    Did this project ever get off the ground? I similarly just picked up a pair of VX12 is great condition and they sound amazing but are a little light on the low end. Building a cabinet is something I could handle if I didn't have to do all the math.
    Here's a model of that driver. The grey line is 36ltr with 4 x 2"x3" ports, as per post #25. The black line is if you increase the internal volume to 46ltr with 1 x 4"x4" port. The problem is, we don't know how much BSC (Baffle Step Correction) Tannoy used, so it's quite possible that the straight red line I put in is the midrange level. By increasing the volume and tuning lower, you could end up with deeper, but very lightweight bass. The only way to fix that is to completely redesign the crossover.

I'm matt.

Looking at the specs, Tannoy quote a sensitivity of 97db. If that is correct then a bigger enclosure won't work unless the crossover is redesigned (they used little, if any BSC).

I'm Dave.

I get it, that's probably why the 85L Cheviot has a 91db sensitivity.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm Dave.

It looks like Tannoy is using autoformers in their crossovers of their larger speakers to lower the midrange level. That actually should be really straight forward to implement and shouldn't require the crossover being completely redesigned.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean View Post
    It looks like Tannoy is using autoformers in their crossovers of their larger speakers to lower the midrange level. That actually should be really straight forward to implement and shouldn't require the crossover being completely redesigned.
    Aren't the autoformers just for the treble section?

Regardless of that, the chances of a crossover from a different speaker working with yours is very unlikely. If you can find a Tannoy design that uses the same driver, but has more low frequency extension, then I'd clone that.

I'm Dave.

I think I've lost interest in reboxing them. I borrowed a HSU Research sub from a good local audiophile friend and these speakers pair with it perfectly. They were obviously designed for it and I shouldn't try to fight it. Just enjoying the tunes now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345