+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy VX12

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I am envisaging a 3 way with either a front mounted 12" or 15" side mounted woofer...
    I'm not sure what you mean. The Tannoy is a full range driver, although you could use a subwoofer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I would have zero knowledge of how to design a box and even less so how to sort out some kind of crossover for a woofer, assuming I use the existing one which looks like it was built by the military for the vx12 driver
    Picking a suitable box design should not be too tricky. Bass can be extended below the driver resonance with a bit of port tuning. Port dimensions can be worked out once you pick a cabinet volume.

I can't see why you would not be able to use the existing crossover. You might want to use an alternative terminal plate equipped with banana sockets. That should be easy to sort.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Are you talking about the port resonance of the drivers in their current cabinets? I'd bet it's around 70Hz and that info will be of no use.
    Your suggestion of "the bigger the better" for a Tannoy Is even more useless, unfortunately, that's another Internet myth.

The only way to do It properly, Is to completely reverse engineer the speaker - crossover and all. Everything else Is just guesswork. If Steve gave me the Internal volume and port dimensions, I could model the driver using the specs In franks link. If It matched the actual port tuning (beans trick) then that's part of the puzzle solved.

I'm Steve.

I'm not sure what you mean. The Tannoy is a full range driver, although you could use a subwoofer with it.

Picking a suitable box design should not be too tricky. Bass can be extended below the driver resonance with a bit of port tuning. Port dimensions can be worked out once you pick a cabinet volume.

I can't see why you would not be able to use the existing crossover. You might want to use an alternative terminal plate equipped with banana sockets. That should be easy to sort.
    Hi again, and thanks so much for your continued input! What I meant when talking about an additional driver was that it the driver required it. I would much prefer to use the vx12 as is, without additional complexity / cost. I see mention of cabinet size in litres but I find it hard to visualise. I am not that restricted on size but I would much prefer a cabinet with as slim a front profile as possible. Yeah I was looking at the connectors on the back and as you say they are far more than would be required and in fact I already have a pair of recessed banana plug connectors that would do the job. I have access to a commercial woodworking shop and all the machinery I could dream of too.

Thanks Steve

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Your suggestion of "the bigger the better" for a Tannoy Is even more useless
    You know I was generalising.

You'd suggest smaller boxes would you?

I'm Steve.

Tannoy quote 36.07 litres. I have just measured the 4 ports and each is 3" (76.2mm) long and 2" (50.8mm) wide.

Steve
    Your suggestion of "the bigger the better" for a Tannoy Is even more useless, unfortunately, that's another Internet myth.

The only way to do It properly, Is to completely reverse engineer the speaker - crossover and all. Everything else Is just guesswork. If Steve gave me the Internal volume and port dimensions, I could model the driver using the specs In franks link. If It matched the actual port tuning (beans trick) then that's part of the puzzle solved.
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm matt.

You know I was generalising.

You'd suggest smaller boxes would you?
    I can only go by what you said "the bigger the better" - which is rubbish.

I didn't suggest smaller boxes either - more rubbish.

I'm Geoff.

I can only go by what you said "the bigger the better" - which is rubbish.

I didn't suggest smaller boxes either - more rubbish.
    I don't like your dismissive attitide, it's offensive. Whether you agree with what I say or not you can be polite about it!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed. Matt, that's not how we address each other on AoS, so please moderate how you respond to people, and be more polite. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed. Matt, that's not how we address each other on AoS, so please moderate how you respond to people, and be more polite. Cheers!

Marco.
    Marco, If you read through, you'll see I was only replying in the same manner I was spoken too, and correcting misinformation at the same time.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm a little busy just now. Who was speaking to you in that manner? In any case, as they say, two wrongs don't make a right...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast