+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy VX12

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I can't imagine why it might be thought that improved bass could "suck the life out of the music". The opposite would likely apply in my view.
    I am included agree with you, I tbinknthe insinuation was that dynamics would suffer. However, tell me about the device you have, is it faulty and how easy is it to measure Vas?

Steve
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Hi Matt. So, are you saying the device is faulty? Or am I missing something? I am still not sure which direction I will go here with these drivers, one suggestion is that building a cabinet that would improve lose registers will suck out the life of the music!
    No, Not faulty but can be finiky when measuring Inductors.

It would work fine for what you would need It for but to be sure I'd test It against my other devices (Dayton DATS and Smith and Larson WT2) just to check everything Is working ok.

I'm matt.

one suggestion is that building a cabinet that would improve lose registers will suck out the life of the music!
    They're talking rubbish.

I'm matt.

I am included agree with you, I tbinknthe insinuation was that dynamics would suffer. However, tell me about the device you have, is it faulty and how easy is it to measure Vas?

Steve
    Measuring VAS Is easy when you know how. I'd send you a detailed explanation.

I'm frank.

VX12 uses 7900 0441 Recone kit.

Fill ones boots.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    VX12 uses 7900 0441 Recone kit.

Fill ones boots.
    Hi Cooky, forgive me but I am not sure what you are getting at there?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm matt.

Steve,

Could you find the Internal volume of the box In litres and the Internal diameter and length of the ports? Assuming Franks link Is correct for your woofer, the first thing to do Is to reverse engineer the speakers port tuning and low frequency extension.

A very accurate way to find the port tuning frequency Is to lay the speaker down and put something like coffee beans on the cone. Play low frequency test tones through the speaker until the beans stop moving. When they stop moving, that's the port tuning frequency and that's the point where maximum air velocity will be moving through the ports.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Steve,

Could you find the Internal volume of the box In litres and the Internal diameter and length of the ports? Assuming Franks link Is correct for your woofer, the first thing to do Is to reverse engineer the speakers port tuning and low frequency extension.

A very accurate way to find the port tuning frequency Is to lay the speaker down and put something like coffee beans on the cone. Play low frequency test tones through the speaker until the beans stop moving. When they stop moving, that's the port tuning frequency and that's the point where maximum air velocity will be moving through the ports.
    Are you talking about the port resonance of the drivers in their current cabinets? I'd bet it's around 70Hz and that info will be of no use.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Steve,

Hi. I am sure the volume of the cabinet will be on the spec sheet but maybe not the ports, although to be honest they look more like just holes in the baffle. I am pondering options while I wait to see if Tannoy get back to me with the driver model. I am envisaging a 3 way with either a front mounted 12" or 15" side mounted woofer...🤪

However this is all academic if the drivers I have are not any good, and besides I would have zero knowledge of how to design a box and even less so how to sort out some kind of crossover for a woofer, assuming I use the existing one which looks like it was built by the military for the vx12 driver.

Steve

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Are you talking about the port resonance of the drivers in their current cabinets? I'd bet it's around 70Hz and that info will be of no use.
    Tannoy indeed quote 70hz....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast