+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

I'm Russell.

I am very impressed with this setup! And looks just as capable as many high dollar ultrasonic machines.

I bought an electric motor made to turn a mirror ball! Plugged right into the wall and turned about 1.5 rpm. Rather cheap and Lots of torque too. It should be easy to retrofit into your project?

If you’ve already got an RCM, why not use it? To remove from the bath and vacuum dry should give a superior finish? Plus ready to play.

Russell

I'm Mark.

Post Interesting DIY US cleaning thread

I've built my US cleaner around the following article, notice the cleaning formula and filtration system. He also uses a RCM for final dry. Nice sleeves to protect your cleaned records highly recommended.
    https://positive-feedback.com/audio-...-cleaning-lps/
    Mark

I'm Steve.

The velvet vortex home made bath is all you will ever need.

Perfect balance of the basics, with just enough clever design to add what you need and avoid over engineering what you don’t (most commercial models).

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
    The velvet vortex home made bath is all you will ever need.

Perfect balance of the basics, with just enough clever design to add what you need and avoid over engineering what you don’t (most commercial models).
    I love mine. It's miles better than my Okki Nokki which costs about the same. It's probably the best upgrade my vinyl system has had.

I'm John.

I've bought the 6L Ultra Sonic Tank recommended in this thread.
    I'm looking at the motor and accessories available on www.Sparkfun.com
    These are parts that are used in astronomy for automated telescopes, so are hopefully proven reliable items.
    The cost of the extended shafts are very fair, so a few can be prepped in advance, for a speedy exchange.
    I will cut and shut a redundant metal framing for a glass shelved stand.
    This will produce a elevating section for the records entry and removal from the bath.
    I am considering a Nosti, as it seems a good old fashioned
    Pre "Ultrasound Treatment" surface clean is the only way to lift the evidence of handling them, and who knows what else got onto them over the course time.
    After reading the Kirmuss viewpoint, I like the idea of a distilled water rinse, after the Ultrasound Treartment.
    If anybody wants to be thrown into deep debate about the process and the failing of the off the shelf Ultrasound Devices and cleaning methods, as I am building, with the usual methods applied, have a search and read up on the views of
    Dr/ Mr Kirmuss, who produces a Ultrasonic Machine.
    His views have created a raised eyebrow.

P.S
    I had been informed recently of a Aluminium Foil placed in the Bath test, it will be a visual test to check if there is a risk of harming the record.
    Has anybody knowledge of this test ?

]

I'm keith.

Been perfectly happy with mine. I bought one of the 6l tanks, a cheap 0.6 motor from eBay and made up a couple of things of balsa wood to keep the record at the right height in the tank. I then give it a rinse with a sponge brush and distilled water and use a vinyl vac attachment to a hoover to clean it all up. The results have been very good.

I'm John.

I have checked out information on the Aluminium Foil Test, and if there is a importance in it being carried out on a Ultrasonic Record Cleanng Machine, "URCM"
    This is a relevant test and part of recording the functionality of the machine over time,it is wise to carry a test out at initial set up, hence the test foil sample should be stored and revisited as a observation/comparison against interval testing at approx 3 months apart. Storage/Archiving the sample could also be a photograph or scanned image.
    The basic investigation of the foil test is to demonstrate the intensity and distribution of cavitation in the bath.
    There are tutorials on line showing the procedure, and there are threads relating to the outcome of a foil test in a URCM in forums.
    I have come to understand, that a solution clean will be required after a foil test, as residuals will be seen in the tank. I don't think any vinyl owner would want their vinyl in with the foil residuals
    Some on the forums lean to the idea that the longer the foil takes to perforate, the less harm will be done to the vinyl.
    Some also say, that the vinyl is much more hardy and elastic than the foil,
    and it will not incur any breakdown of its structure.
    I would like to think the more foil sheets placed in the bath, the less intensity of cavitation perforations produced, "to be proven" just a thought.
    If proven, the more vinyl in the solution, the less intensity of cavitation.
    As stated before, I will be doing a standard cleaning method with a knosti, to clean any handling residual marks,before a Record is put into the URCM
    I like the idea of slowing the rotation down to 0.33 RPM and allowing for a Three Minute clean as a second cleaning regime for the vinyl. Followed by a luke warm distilled water rinse. Time lapse after first clean to be decided.
    I will work out the best method for a first clean, i,e how many records in the bath, length of cleaning period. Followed by a luke warm distilled water rinse.
    I sent a friend a link for a motor I had found, he claims it changes its RPM, by changing the input voltage, max speed is 0.5 RPM.
    This is my initial investigation of creating my URCM, I hope that somebody with more savvy than myself, can contribute.

I'm Mike.

Well i've bitten the bullet and finally got one, this one it will arrive Wednesday can't wait to give it a spin

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

I had been informed recently of a Aluminium Foil placed in the Bath test, it will be a visual test to check if there is a risk of harming the record.
    Has anybody knowledge of this test ?

]
    I wouldn't read too much in to that, look at it this way, if you covered an lp in foil stuck it on your TT got it up to speed then lowered your stylus onto it, how much damage would the diamond tip of the stylus do to the foil in just one pass

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Well i've bitten the bullet and finally got one, this one it will arrive Wednesday can't wait to give it a spin
    Hopefully you're not expecting it to be an ultrasonic cleaner...
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast