+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

I'm Grant.

Sorry Tim but that would come under trade alas and can't be posted on the forum unless you have a trade membership I will need to delete it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi,

very good of you to offer details - please pm details if possible.

One question though; what made you decide on 40 degrees centigrade (just seems a bit warm to me, although I may well be over cautious).

Regards. Guy.
    For best results, it is recommended to use a temperature up to 40 C. Some folks are using up to 60 C but I do not think I want to try that. My Ultrasonic Tank can go up to 80 C, however this can only be used for other purposes, without the IPA.
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm James.

Just a quick net nanny warning for anyone new to using isopropyl alcohol: It evaporates easily from solution and the vapour is highly flammable at low temperatures, so its use in an ultrasonic bath at much above room temperature carries a fire risk, especially if a standard brushed dc motor is going to be used to turn the record.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

Thanks for posting this Bernard. I'm very tempted....

By degassing the fluid for 5 mins on first use - does this require leaving the fluid to sit for 5 mins at 40C, then use it?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Bernard.

Default My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Just a quick net nanny warning for anyone new to using isopropyl alcohol: It evaporates easily from solution and the vapour is highly flammable at low temperatures, so its use in an ultrasonic bath at much above room temperature carries a fire risk, especially if a standard brushed dc motor is going to be used to turn the record.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Good comment. I would not worry about the DC motor. However, if used in a kitchen, one needs to be careful.... better to open the windows!

I am using the Ultrasonic tank lid after use to prevent having to top-up the solution. I also want to gradually experiment reducing the volume of IPA in the mix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Thanks for posting this Bernard. I'm very tempted....

By degassing the fluid for 5 mins on first use - does this require leaving the fluid to sit for 5 mins at 40C, then use it?
    It requires switching the ultrasonic ON for 5 mins at 40C just before cleaning.

Some info on the benefits of degassing ...
    https://www.sonicsonline.com/blogs/u...sonic-cleaners

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Berni217 View Post
    It requires switching the ultrasonic ON for 5 mins at 40C just before cleaning.

Some info on the benefits of degassing ...
    https://www.sonicsonline.com/blogs/u...sonic-cleaners

Thanks, that's useful. One more question.....I can understand that filtering the solution, wiping the tank clean and refilling it with the filtered solution would be sensible after a few cleaning sessions. Is there any advice on how often it's advisable to use new fluid? Of course if its dirty then new solution is needed but does it degrade? If the solution was left sitting in the tank for a couple of weeks or longer, is this considered to matter?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Bernard.

Default My Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Thanks, that's useful. One more question.....I can understand that filtering the solution, wiping the tank clean and refilling it with the filtered solution would be sensible after a few cleaning sessions. Is there any advice on how often it's advisable to use new fluid? Of course if its dirty then new solution is needed but does it degrade? If the solution was left sitting in the tank for a couple of weeks or longer, is this considered to matter?
    I partly answered in post #9 but I will add that I have successfully cleaned around 70 records with no impact on the sound so far.

I am planning to clean up to 150-200 records before filtering the solution with a 1 micron filter.

Once filtered, the solution can be used many times over with some top-up.

The tank has a lid, which can be used if the solution is left in the tank for a period. You can also store in a 5L plastic bottle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Berni217; 16-05-2018 at 16:35.

I'm Mike.

This method of vinyl cleaning looks very interesting and i'm very tempted to give it a go, the initial post was very informative however the use of IPA had me a little confused at 1st until i realised people were talking about isopropyl alcohol and not Indian Pale Ale , seriously though wouldn't this work with a pre mix vinyl cleaning fluid such as the Knosti stuff?

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Deleted.

Bernard, may I offer you enormous thanks for posting this very detailed description and list of components. I’ve been meaning to build myself an ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of years now but have yet to get around to it. Thanks to you I have just had the tank delivered (rather a nicely made thing it is too). So, another project for me to add to the list .
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast