+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stihl brush cutters / clearing saws

I'm Kevin.

Default Stihl brush cutters / clearing saws

Is there a difference between the two?
    I am looking at getting a new brush cutter / clearing saw for sorting out the woodland, which is about half an acre. It is mainly long grass, weeds, brambles and small saplings.

I am tempted by the FS410 as this looks more than up to the job and does not have the complex electronics of the FS460 and up.

Would this be overkill?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dominic.

When it comes to those sort of jobs there is no such thing as "overkill" as these machines have a very tough life.

As careful as you can be, you will always hit rocks and thick wood which does the head, shaft and engines a whole lot of no good. All I do is cut the grass with my 50cc Partner cutter and today I used up around a metre of 2.4mm line because of hidden rocks and bits of discarded barbed wire.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm James.

Always best to go for overkill as it usually makes the job easier and quicker!

You could always go for the Fs560 clearing saw - that looks a series piece of kit.

Interesting how stihl move from strimmer to brushcutter to saw as they go up the range, it must be to do with power and ferocity!

I'm Kevin.

The issue with going above the FS410 is the electronics and additional weight for not much more power.
    This will be my third brush cutter. The other two still work, one is a back pack job which is great for awkward stuff and is powered by a Kawasaki TJ45e motor. The other is a straight shaft Ryobi “professional” trimmer that had so much vibration it broke the fuel tank mountings, which then fell off. I have rebuilt it, and it is better but still not great.

The Stihl would replace this.
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The issue with going above the FS410 is the electronics and additional weight for not much more power.
    This will be my third brush cutter. The other two still work, one is a back pack job which is great for awkward stuff and is powered by a Kawasaki TJ45e motor. The other is a straight shaft Ryobi “professional” trimmer that had so much vibration it broke the fuel tank mountings, which then fell off. I have rebuilt it, and it is better but still not great.

The Stihl would replace this.
    Weight is a big issue with these tools especially if your using them for long periods and complex electronics are never good. Sounds like you have had a fair bit of experience with these Kevin, you must have a beast of a garden!

I'm Kevin.

About 2 acres with just over half an acre of oak woodland.
    It takes me about a day to clear the woods, which is why I need something robust.
    Then there is the boundary and the ditches to do....
    Kevin

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    About 2 acres with just over half an acre of oak woodland.
    It takes me about a day to clear the woods, which is why I need something robust.
    Then there is the boundary and the ditches to do....
    Must keep you fit!

I'm Kevin.

I try not to do it too often, but if I let it grow the snakes come closer to the house.
    Kevin

I'm James.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Weight is a big issue with these tools especially if your using them for long periods and complex electronics are never good. Sounds like you have had a fair bit of experience with these Kevin, you must have a beast of a garden!
    I would agree with the weight problem. I have several items of Stihl and they are excellent but the hedge cutter and strimmer are very heavy. I have just given away the hedge cutter because I just can't use it with arms outstretched as I need to do with deep hedges. Also, the long pole hedge cutter is just too heavy for me now. The strimmer is manageable and does a very good job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast