+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving me (you?) mad.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I like to make sure that there is plenty of space between me and the car in front so I have time to brake in an emergency and it gives cars merging in from slip roads room to pull onto the road. I too have been in the multiple lorry situation, there was four lorries tailgating each other.
    You can tell the ones who tailgate, as they're riding their brakes, constantly on and off them because they haven't given themselves ample time to react.

I, like Paul, leave plenty of space, it makes for a more relaxing drive, and means I hardly ever need brakes on the m-way, except when forced to avoid a dickhead. The only problem is that others see this space as an opportunity to lane-swap, in an attempt to shave a couple of seconds off their journey. When enough people do this, I feel like I'm going backwards.

My brother is the complete opposite, and lifts from him are always er, interesting. Whenever I draw the short straw and have to give him a lift, It stresses me no end. He tries to bully me to use inappropriate lanes, never give way to anyone, deliberately obstruct other cars whom he feels are "taking the piss", and generally all the stuff we're complaining about here. When I don't comply, his favourite phrase is "We're here to make progress, not friends". I'm sure he contributed to my blood pressure problems.

He bought himself a new van in September, and already it looks like a Beirut taxi (always someone else's fault though).
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    You can tell the ones who tailgate, as they're riding their brakes, constantly on and off them because they haven't given themselves ample time to react.

I, like Paul, leave plenty of space, it makes for a more relaxing drive, and means I hardly ever need brakes on the m-way, except when forced to avoid a dickhead. The only problem is that others see this space as an opportunity to lane-swap, in an attempt to shave a couple of seconds off their journey. When enough people do this, I feel like I'm going backwards.

My brother is the complete opposite, and lifts from him are always er, interesting. Whenever I draw the short straw and have to give him a lift, It stresses me no end. He tries to bully me to use inappropriate lanes, never give way to anyone, deliberately obstruct other cars whom he feels are "taking the piss", and generally all the stuff we're complaining about here. When I don't comply, his favourite phrase is "We're here to make progress, not friends". I'm sure he contributed to my blood pressure problems.

He bought himself a new van in September, and already it looks like a Beirut taxi (always someone else's fault though).
    He sounds like a cool dude.

"We're here to make progress, not friends" is especially good, I'm nicking that and using it myself.

Re diving down the closed lane and forcing your way in at the end to avoid queues. I'm all for it. In a long tailback for the Runcorn bridge I failed to persuade one of my brothers to take this course of action despite having about an hour and half to do it (which was handy because he works in banking so I had to explain the concept of the 'Prisoner's Dilemma' in detail).

Anyway the point is if others are doing it then it automatically becomes your best strategy to do it too. It may be ethically wrong but it is logical. And you get home faster.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I sometimes feel an eighty mph bulldozer would be the thing.

I'm Martin.

Too slow. Fox armoured car would be my choice. Smash your way through the queue (using the .50 cal machine gun sparingly of course - the ammo is expensive!) then once your on clear road it'll do 70 no problem.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Mark.

I try to drive at a sensible speed carefully calculated to minimise wear and tear on my car and likewise my stress levels. I start to slow down in good time when approaching junctions etc. This is tantamount to having a billboard on the back of my car which says 'overtake me immediately and give me the finger vigorously - in the unlikely event that you are unable to do this tailgate me and flash your lights repeatedly until an opportunity arises'. I often see the people who overtake me very shortly afterwards, slamming their brakes on at traffic lights or a roundabout or whatever as I pull up sedately behind them.

I'm Alan.

I know, it's as if people have no time to live.
    Since having the motor home an keeping the speed down there is a sense of pleasure from progressing sedately.

I'm Paul.

I think we should have an AOS road trip. With Alan at the front in his motorhome, Martin at the back in his armoured car fitted with .50 cals and the rest of us leaving huge gaps between the vehicle in front what could possibly go wrong?
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

Looks like we got ourselves a convoy...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Looks like we got ourselves a convoy...
    Ok rubber chicken
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Default Driving me (you?) mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    You want to see the twats that use the A3/M25 junction in Surrey (J10) there is a dedicated lane for about 1/4m and two A3 lanes, yes they storm up the outside A3 lane and dive left at the last minute to avoid the queuing traffic in the dedicated lane. And Yes, there was another pile-up two days ago, In addition to the regular shunts on the A3 between Milford and Guildford (one last week - 4 cars involved). Is it so difficult to drive in harmony when we are all travelling in the same direction!

Don't get me started on roundabout discipline/signalling and cuntish drving!
    Some of my best mates are from Surrey, and I lived there too, but wow there are a lot of angry wankers in that neck of the woods. I don’t think I ever had a night out in Guildford without seeing a couple of fights.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast