+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Low Volume from Dual Turntable (via preamp) with Cambridge Audio Amp

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    Thanks again Grant, it's unlikely I can find one on my Island(!) but I've got my eye on a new Marantz PM5005, good deal on Amazon right now - €55 less than I could get it from a Dublin dealer, even with postage costs. Is that a good match for the Dual 505 (assuming it's OK).
    I reckon you'll probably be OK with the Marantz. It's not an amp I know, but it seems well liked and does not cost a fortune. Your phono stages should work with it.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That sounds like the amp. If the hum is always the same level regardless of the volume it is the transformer. If that's the case you'll need a new amplifier, repairing it won't be cost effective unless you can do it yourself.
    Martin is right. If the hum is there regardless of what source is feeding inputs, I'd guess it's knackered!

I'm Stephen.

Thanks for the recent replies, I'll try and respond to each Below:

Originally Posted by Macca: That sounds like the amp. If the hum is always the same level regardless of the volume it is the transformer. If that's the case you'll need a new amplifier, repairing it won't be cost effective unless you can do it yourself.

I can hear the hum from halfway up on the volume dial. It does get a bit louder as the volume goes higher, but it stays the same tone and never gets very loud.

Originally Posted by Macca: Alongside the phono cables running out of the TT you should have an earth lead. That needs to be connected to the phono stage. If it is already connected try disconnecting it.

I disconnected the ground wire and the volume was the same, but the "click" when the tonearm moved to the record was much louder through the speakers.

Originally Posted by Two Tone: Sounds like an earth issue, try moving the phono stages away from the amp or TT or TV etc.

Because of the short ground wire, I can't move the preamp very far from the amp or TT, but it's not resting on either of them.

I'm Grant.

Phone stage may be picking up noise. Try moving it by extending the earth. Also try moving other wires behind like interconnects away from mains cables and everything away fro
    Phono
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It's noisy on CD too though Grant.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's noisy on CD too though Grant.
    It's buzzing with nothing plugged in except speakers.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    It's buzzing with nothing plugged in except speakers.
    You may have some hum coming from another appliance or noisy mains. Try going round the house turning things like fridges and heating off and see if the hum goes. if it does, a mains filter is in your future.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    You may have some hum coming from another appliance or noisy mains. Try going round the house turning things like fridges and heating off and see if the hum goes. if it does, a mains filter is in your future.
    Turned off fridge, electric cooker, immersion heater and TV / Sound bar. No change. I have only been in this house 18 months (and it's bigger than my last place) and I'm fairly sure the buzzing was happening there too. But if it is a gound loop (I think that's what it's called), I can't find it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Try disconnecting all the sources from your amplifier, and then see if the hum is still there regardless of which source is chosen on the amp.
    Barry

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Try disconnecting all the sources from your amplifier, and then see if the hum is still there regardless of which source is chosen on the amp.
    Already done that Barry...mentioned it a few times in previous posts. It is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast