+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Volume from Dual Turntable (via preamp) with Cambridge Audio Amp

I'm Grant.

The 95 only outputs 3.5mv so not the loudest cart around but saying that it shouldnt be low and muddy.. tracks at 2gm aprox and loaded on mm at 47kohm. Make sure if the pre has a mc setting or loading options that you have it on mm and 47k. Also check you have the cart leads on correctly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Got a feeling its not marked on cart so you will need an online diagram to show what colour goes where. Its not same as other carts, if memory serves.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Gently crimp the tags a bit with narrow nosed pliers.

Are you sure the tags are on the correct pins? It occurs to me that an out of phase cartridge could be a potential cause of the symptoms.
    I've checked the tags with the pins using the chart that came with the cartridge and also the manual for the dual that I got online. I think I've got them right, although the cartridge only has a + sign and L and R (not a - sign). I'll give them another go and crimp them and come back.

Thanks again for all the help.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The 95 only outputs 3.5mv so not the loudest cart around but saying that it shouldnt be low and muddy.. tracks at 2gm aprox and loaded on mm at 47kohm. Make sure if the pre has a mc setting or loading options that you have it on mm and 47k. Also check you have the cart leads on correctly.
    I've tried 2 preamps. The Nad is definitely on MM and the Berhingher is only MM. Tracking is at 2gm. Not sure about 47kohm, as I can't see anywhere to set that on the preamps, and I assume they are at the right levels.

I'm Grant.

should be this way
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

should be this way
    I was half-hoping I'd got them the wrong way around, but no, that's how I have them. Just re-connected them and crimped harder, but to no avail. It's listenable at about 2 O'Clock on the amp volume cranker, 6 O'clock being full blast, which would break windows with the CD player. But, the hum from the amp is noticeable after 1 O'clock and I can't help feeling something is amiss.

I'm Grant.

unlikely but possible both pres are faulty. amp working with cd ok suggests its ok. faulty cart setup, faulty cart, something wrong with the tonearm wiring maybe.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

unlikely but possible both pres are faulty. amp working with cd ok suggests its ok. faulty cart setup, faulty cart, something wrong with the tonearm wiring maybe.
    So, you're against the "it's the amp" theory? And, should I be getting that hum from the amp at high volumes?

I'm Stephen.

Default Update

Hold the front page! I may have exaggerated the volume from the amp, with the CD player. It now seems pretty quiet at about 1/4 volume (9 O'clock) and needs to go to 11 'Clock to be listening in my large room, and then to 1 O'Clock to be loud, so only about 2 or 3 "notches" behind the turntable, if I'm honest. The hum comes in at about 1 O'clock.

I'm Geoff.

Hum could be an earthing issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast