+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Ireland

I'm Stephen.

Default Hello from Ireland

Hello, I'm Stephen, I'm a Brit who has lived in Ireland for the last 20 years. I'm an award-winning photographer and teacher with 35 years experience, now living on the far west of County Kerry on an Island called Valentia (val-en-sha), hence my User Name.

I've been an audiophile for as long as I can remember, although I have stayed around the budget end of the spending ladder for most of the time. I'm hoping to get back into vinyl listening soon, and probably need to update either my Dual 505 turntable or my Cambridge Audio amp. I will be posting another thread about a problem I'm having with one or both of them, shortly.

Looking forward to a fun and educational time here.

Stephen Power

I'm Grant.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to AoS.. sure folk will be able to advise. Nice countryside where you are. Lucky Man
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hi Stephen. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure members can advise on your problems. The Analogue Arts section is for record replay matters and the Blank Canvas area is good for amp discussions.

The name Valentia for your home is interesting. I wonder if it dates back to parts of Ireland being populated by migrants from Spain (possibly Moorish) in the historical past. There are a few Spanish name places. Mahon is another, there's one in Spain and one in Ireland.

Anyway, there's plenty going on here, so just get involved and enjoy yourself.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Stephen.

Hi Grant and Geoff

Thanks very much for the welcome. The name of the Island comes from an early settlement on it called An Bhaile Inse ("mouth of the island"), which in Irish would be pronounced "Val-Insh". It's thought that this could have been reinterpreted as similar to the Spanish town Valencia by Englishmen and Spanish sailors. As you say, Geoff, there are a number of places where Spanish ships landed, including "Spanish Point" not too far away in County Clare.

I have a problem with low sound when playing the Dual 505 through a more modern Cambridge audio amp. Should I post this in the Turntable or amp forum, do you think?

Stephen

I'm Geoff.

Start a thread in the Analogue Arts section as it relates to record playing.

I'm Stephen.

Thanks, I just posted in blank Canvas. I'll move it if I can.

I'm Geoff.

Done it for you.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Welcome, I visited Valentia back in 98, then on to Skellig Michael, the most amazing place I've ever visited, Luke's home in the last jedi.

Cahersiveen was great too with a music festival.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Welcome, I visited Valentia back in 98, then on to Skellig Michael, the most amazing place I've ever visited, Luke's home in the last jedi.

Cahersiveen was great too with a music festival.
    Hi Chris, thank for the welcome. Actually I was photographing at the Star Wars drive in movie last weekend and at the music festival in Cahersiveen! Great craic, as they say here. Let me know if you plan to come back (I have a small B&B here).

Stephen

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentiaman View Post
    Hi Chris, thank for the welcome. Actually I was photographing at the Star Wars drive in movie last weekend and at the music festival in Cahersiveen! Great craic, as they say here. Let me know if you plan to come back (I have a small B&B here).

Stephen
    That sounds good, yes it's something I'm thinking about, I've been to Ireland many times, the last two visits back in 2003 and 2004, we rented a house on both occasions in Kerry.

Would love to come back.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread