+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

I'm Gary.

[B][U]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I did try it, made zero difference. See if you can tell the difference when you don't know if the fancy cable is in use or not before spending any more money on them. You might get another surprise.

It's easy to imagine improvements in things like soundstage and separation, as opposed to 'tonal' changes, because the harder you listen the more things you notice are going on. They were always there before, but you are listening differently because you are evaluating.

When I discovered that I could improve the soundstaging and micro detailing of my system just by thinking about it was when I gave up on these sort of tweaks.
    I am really interested in how hearing, listening and memory effect our experiences, I'm doing a little digging I'll probably post some information as I find it.

“Deep Listening explores the difference between hearing and listening. Though we receive sound waves through the ears these waves are transduced to electrical impulses by the mechanisms of the ear and transmitted to the brain where listening takes place. The ear does not listen – the brain listens.

Listening is a lifetime practice that depends on accumulated experiences with sound. Listening can be focused to detail or open to the entire field of sound. Listening still is a mysterious process that is not the same for everyone although we have consensual agreements on the interpretation of sound waves delivered to the brain by the ears. We know more about hearing than listening.”
    – Pauline Oliveros, Deep Listening institute

Bigman80 Guest

That's cool. I'll be watching for further info on that.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is it directional? Mine is, it goes from one end to the other.
    It is, surprisingly, and it does look the business too so it's fair to say I was very disappointed not to hear any benefit.

I'd be happy to conclude that it was just me and that I am unable to hear the subtle improvements, which would not surprise me. But everyone else seems to have the 'Wife immediately asked me what I had done to the system' type changes so, frankly, I'm feeling a bit left out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    [B][U]

I am really interested in how hearing, listening and memory effect our experiences, I'm doing a little digging I'll probably post some information as I find it.

“Deep Listening explores the difference between hearing and listening. Though we receive sound waves through the ears these waves are transduced to electrical impulses by the mechanisms of the ear and transmitted to the brain where listening takes place. The ear does not listen – the brain listens.

Listening is a lifetime practice that depends on accumulated experiences with sound. Listening can be focused to detail or open to the entire field of sound. Listening still is a mysterious process that is not the same for everyone although we have consensual agreements on the interpretation of sound waves delivered to the brain by the ears. We know more about hearing than listening.”
    – Pauline Oliveros, Deep Listening institute
    I read somewhere that someone suggested while listening you imagine that instead of your usual system you are listening to an ultra high end system that cost £100,000 per component and see if your perception of how good it sounds changes. I tried that and it did indeed work, although you sort of had to keep the thought in your mind as if you didn't it went back to normal.

(Obviously if your system already cost £100K per item it won't work at all).

As it says in the quote, it's the brain that does the listening.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

It is, surprisingly, and it does look the business too so it's fair to say I was very disappointed not to hear any benefit.

I'd be happy to conclude that it was just me and that I am unable to hear the subtle improvements, which would not surprise me. But everyone else seems to have the 'Wife immediately asked me what I had done to the system' type changes so, frankly, I'm feeling a bit left out.
    Hahaha, shall I send mine round? On second thoughts...........

Bigman80 Guest

I read somewhere that someone suggested while listening you imagine that instead of your usual system you are listening to an ultra high end system that cost £100,000 per component and see if your perception of how good it sounds changes. I tried that and it did indeed work, although you sort of had to keep the thought in your mind as if you didn't it went back to normal.

(Obviously if your system already cost £100K per item it won't work at all).

As it says in the quote, it's the brain that does the listening.
    The brain can be tricked, I don't doubt that. Some people are more astute at listening than others. A few weeks back, Steve popped round with Alan and out of all the folks who'd been here, he's the only one that picked up on the fact I have a bass problem. There is a very boxed in corner by the left speaker due to two walls and a piano. He instantly recognised the bass imbalance. I was impressed with his level of hearing BUT I think you also need to know what to listen out for. He obviously did and helped me sort it out with some very simple ideas.

Everyone hears at different levels but knowing what to listen for is different to having great hearing.

I'm Gary.

What I am trying to explore is the ability to take suggestion and perception out of the equation, so it seems that hearing and listening could be differentials. Long or short term memory in musical context may also be involved.

Combinations of the above could contribute to the very polarized views that appear when discussing the original post topic.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The brain can be tricked, I don't doubt that. Some people are more astute at listening than others. A few weeks back, Steve popped round with Alan and out of all the folks who'd been here, he's the only one that picked up on the fact I have a bass problem. There is a very boxed in corner by the left speaker due to two walls and a piano. He instantly recognised the bass imbalance. I was impressed with his level of hearing BUT I think you also need to know what to listen out for. He obviously did and helped me sort it out with some very simple ideas.

Everyone hears at different levels but knowing what to listen for is different to having great hearing.
    Very true. I've been at bake offs where someone says 'listen to that' pointing out a problem. I hadn't heard it but as soon as they point it out I hear it. If I was having an extended listen on my own then eventually I would also hear it without being prompted but I am always impressed by people who pick up on these things right away. As you say, it's experience, not golden ears.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Very true. I've been at bake offs where someone says 'listen to that' pointing out a problem. I hadn't heard it but as soon as they point it out I hear it. If I was having an extended listen on my own then eventually I would also hear it without being prompted but I am always impressed by people who pick up on these things right away. As you say, it's experience, not golden ears.
    Yes it is. I was really impressed with Steve's assesment ability. Experience is key as you say. I presume anyone can learn what to lookout for but there has to be an ability to hear it in the first place.

I'm Martin.

You've also got the 'wood for the trees' situation where people are listening so hard for the micro details and so forth that they don't notice that the sound is shit. I've been in a room with about 8 other people and they are all enthusing about various aspects of the sound and I'm the only one thinking that I don't care that it captures the expression in her voice, the sound is hard with nasty distortion.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast