+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have heard a big difference in a mains lead, just the one time, it was a home made lead I bought on here, not expensive at £20.
    It's made from tightly twisted solid core to an MK plug and standard iec.

How did it sound compared to the bog standard provided with my Pearl lite?
    As Doug Dunlop, bless him would say, like a bag of nails!!
    It sounded bloody awful and had to be removed immediately, the bog standard or the Mark Grant I have was much better.
    I use the Mark Grant because at least it doesn't sound any worse than the standard lead.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Russell.

I have had this discussion with a friend in Italy, who claimed that as alternating current was moving back and forth at 50Hz, (60 here in the States), the electrons were only moving back and forth in the “good”, copper.

So I did some math, it’s in a notebook around here someplace, if I ever find it I may share it. But basically I found out his theory was rubbish. The electrons were moving far further than two meters or less. Like some portion of a kilometer. So, yea, so much for promising theories.

Personally I too believe it has more to do with good grounding and shielding than any pseudo-science. And I have seen no evidence that throwing money at it will produce a better cable. I spent good money, about $55, for parts to make a good cable for my preamp. Does it sound good? Yes! Can I tell the difference? Not really. But it’s big and fat with braided sleeve and looks quite fetching! I also spent good money on a cryogenically frozen 20A cable for my amp! It’s wound up in the closet, I haven’t put it in yet. I’ll let everyone know if it bowls me over.

Right now I’m using the one Krell gave with the amp. I’ve always thought if there was anything to this stuff then manufacturers would supply them? If all it took was a good cable to make their kit sound better, then why wouldn’t they? They go to extreme lengths elsewhere for sound quality, why overlook that if it really made a difference?

But, in our quest for better sound, there is certainly no harm in assuring that the cables we use are not impeding our enjoyment of our hard earned systems.

Russell

I'm Martin.

You have a different Krell to me but the manual for mine is pretty explicit in warning not to use any mains cable except the one supplied.

It doesn't say what will happen if you do, but I imagine it is similar to what happens when you cross the streams in 'Ghostbusters'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

If you use the wrong lead, you'll probably get an effect like the one at the cold fusion lab in the movie 'Chain Reaction'.

I'm Martin.

The Krell manual is basically 3 pages of them saying 'Do not screw around with this thing!'

You have to mute your pre-amp when cuing a record as due to the current delivery the transient from the needle dropping can blow the drivers out of your speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons a bit...

Noticed last night the mains lead from my power amp was pressed against the back wall a bit?
    Moved the amp forward a bit and left a bit of clearance?

Better sense of space around vocals and better ‘flow’ in well recorded live music.
    Go figure

Listening this morning and moving amp back to where it was can hear the difference.
    Small tweak well worth doing.

(No, I on the malt last night lol)
    Last edited by Gazjam; 03-06-2018 at 11:20.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons a bit...

We've already got so many cats in there on this topic that we are starting to run out of pigeons....

If you can 'hear' that cable touching the wall without knowing whether it is or isn't then I'd be impressed.

There's a stark choice here between the well-established vagaries of human psychology and basic physics having some alarming and totally inexplicable gaps that have gone completely unnoticed until audiophilia reached its current, dizzy heights. When you've eliminated the impossible explanations, whatever remains must be the explanation regardless of how improbable, or in this case, unpalatable, it may be.

It isn't comfortable to realise we cannot trust our senses or our memory in uncontrolled conditions, but it is easily demonstrable that we can't.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There's a stark choice here between the well-established vagaries of human psychology and basic physics having some alarming and totally inexplicable gaps that have gone completely unnoticed until audiophilia reached its current, dizzy heights.
    It's also funny how scientists and engineers came up with the technology to reproduce recorded sounds, but now it's scientists and engineers who get stick for failing to have an 'open mind' about fancy mains cables, even when they go to great lengths to explain precisely why perceived differences between such cables are down to psychological rather than scientific factors.

I'm Grant.

its pretty fair to say what it is, if it works for you, then it works for you. as much as ive not heard differences in mains cables, im not so arrogant as to dismiss it totally. science does tend to say something and stick to it until it becomes obvious they were wrong. even then....
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I hear subtle changes in the sound of my system even when I haven't changed anything. Took a long time for me to realise the inconsistencies were in me, not the system. I suppose because to an extent it is counter-intuitive. We always consider ourselves to be the constant and look for explanations outside of that. In fact we are incredibly inconsistent and the behaviour of electricity going through wires is about as consistent as anything can be.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast