+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 230

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

  1. #191
    Join Date: Oct 2016

    Location: Bolton, England

    Posts: 1,125
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    For me the bottom line is the music.
    I'm not even sure what "the music" means anymore. I know guys who can transcribe almost every note they hear, and can do it in real time. I've seen some amazing feats of pitch recognition which have me gob-smacked. Usually though, those people seem oblivious to all the "hi-fi" stuff that audiophiles get excited about.
    The older I get, the more I learn - and the more baffled I am by it all.

  2. #192
    Join Date: Apr 2018

    Location: Cornwall

    Posts: 55
    I'm Dominic.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Far too analytical/(anal?) for my taste I must confess. For me the bottom line is the music.
    But what is the "music" to you Hugh? Is it a pure wall of sound you let wash over you, no matter how many musicians there are and the part each one plays? Are you like my friend who appreciates the "tone" - whatever that means? Do you bop around the house with whatever music is being played to make the dusting and hoovering more pleasurable? Are you one of these people that insists on having the one listening seat placed using a theodolite down the the last micron in position? Is Mrs Mills and her Piano at the top of your favourite playlist? Do you start blubbering when you hear "Puff the Magic Dragon"?

    On the other hand, my enjoyment comes from listening to each musician in a band and noting the interactions and timings between them, whether they are true musicians with something unique to say and how they understand tonal colours that build up a tune or song. Three chords on a guitar and some Lalala in between soon goes in the bin as any idiot can perform that. Soundstage and imaging are way down in priority, but instruments must sound like instruments, bursting with the dynamics and harmonics they naturally possess.

    I had a trawl through the 10/10 albums thread last week and called some of them up for a listen on Spotify to hear what excites AOSers and none were my cup of tea at all
    CD player = Vincent
    Pre amp = Rotel RA03
    Power amp = Lyngdorf SDA 2175
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

  3. #193
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,154
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    .

    I had a trawl through the 10/10 albums thread last week and called some of them up for a listen on Spotify to hear what excites AOSers and none were my cup of tea at all
    That thread was for albums that had very good production values, not necessarily the best music.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  4. #194
    Join Date: Apr 2018

    Location: Cornwall

    Posts: 55
    I'm Dominic.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That thread was for albums that had very good production values, not necessarily the best music.
    Aha, that's where I went wrong Martin

    If that's the case I might add one or two myself to the list. God help you
    CD player = Vincent
    Pre amp = Rotel RA03
    Power amp = Lyngdorf SDA 2175
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

  5. #195
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 20,154
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Aha, that's where I went wrong Martin

    If that's the case I might add one or two myself to the list. God help you
    Anyway if you think that was bad you'll have to come along to one of the bake-offs, some right shite gets played...
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

  6. #196
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: East Midlands

    Posts: 359
    I'm Hugh.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think the goal (and hopefully end result) is precisely to increase one's enjoyment of music, not detract from it. And once properly learned, should come naturally

    Marco.
    Indeed, I would only disagree(slightly) with your use of 'learned', I'd prefer 'assimilated' personally.

    Either way though, this doesn't address the issues that I have with the last paragraph of post #184. We'll have to agree to differ on that one.

  7. #197
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Much Wenlock

    Posts: 515
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Aha, that's where I went wrong Martin

    If that's the case I might add one or two myself to the list. God help you

    Not wanting to drift off OP but:
    Group.....Tinariwen
    Album.......Elwan


  8. #198
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 8,333
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Not wanting to drift off OP but:
    Group.....Tinariwen
    Album.......Elwan

    It's funny where you pick up music steers, but this one's a gooddun
    Chris



    Once we've made sense of our world, we wanna go fuck up everybody else's because his or her truth doesn't match mine. But this is the problem. Truth is individual calculation. Which means because we all have different perspectives, there isn't one singular truth, is there?

  9. #199
    Join Date: Apr 2018

    Location: Cornwall

    Posts: 55
    I'm Dominic.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Indeed, I would only disagree(slightly) with your use of 'learned', I'd prefer 'assimilated' personally.

    Either way though, this doesn't address the issues that I have with the last paragraph of post #184. We'll have to agree to differ on that one.
    I meant no offence to anyone by that statement Hugh, it was in response to Marco's observation that some people simply don't know how to analyse what they are hearing and put what they are hearing into words. It is the method I use to help lay people understand what us audiophools get all worked up into a froth about
    CD player = Vincent
    Pre amp = Rotel RA03
    Power amp = Lyngdorf SDA 2175
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

  10. #200
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: East Midlands

    Posts: 359
    I'm Hugh.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    I meant no offence to anyone by that statement Hugh, it was in response to Marco's observation that some people simply don't know how to analyse what they are hearing and put what they are hearing into words. It is the method I use to help lay people understand what us audiophools get all worked up into a froth about

    No offence taken. Nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •