+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It's also funny how scientists and engineers came up with the technology to reproduce recorded sounds, but now it's scientists and engineers who get stick for failing to have an 'open mind' about fancy mains cables, even when they go to great lengths to explain precisely why perceived differences between such cables are down to psychological rather than scientific factors.
    With some kit, the scientists produce it then its tweaked by ear for the best version?
    Not dog in this race really, whatever the reason I'm enjoying the music better, which is the important bit for me.
    All good.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Not dog in this race really.
    I thought you were putting a cat up to compete?

It's true and I agree that our individual subjective reality is the only one that matters as far as appreciating music goes. This debate is for entertainment purposes only.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I hear subtle changes in the sound of my system even when I haven't changed anything. Took a long time for me to realise the inconsistencies were in me, not the system. I suppose because to an extent it is counter-intuitive. We always consider ourselves to be the constant and look for explanations outside of that. In fact we are incredibly inconsistent and the behaviour of electricity going through wires is about as consistent as anything can be.

That's probably the most sensible post I've read on a Hi-Fi forum for many a long year.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    That's probably the most sensible post I've read on a Hi-Fi forum for many a long year.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I hear subtle changes in the sound of my system even when I haven't changed anything. Took a long time for me to realise the inconsistencies were in me, not the system.
    I'm aware of that too. On occasion, the system sounds odd and I know it's just down to me.

I'm Gary.

I thought you were putting a cat up to compete?

It's true and I agree that our individual subjective reality is the only one that matters as far as appreciating music goes. This debate is for entertainment purposes only.
    Naa...
    just sharing a recent experience is' all.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons a bit...

Noticed last night the mains lead from my power amp was pressed against the back wall a bit?
    Moved the amp forward a bit and left a bit of clearance?

Better sense of space around vocals and better ‘flow’ in well recorded live music.
    Go figure

Listening this morning and moving amp back to where it was can hear the difference.
    Small tweak well worth doing.

(No, I on the malt last night lol)
    There is a theory that says if your cables are touching ANYTHING other than air, then they can be affected perversely. I can't remember if someone told me this or I read it but I'll see if I can find it.

I recall a wall touching a cable causing a hum. Strange but true.

I'm Russell.

I hear subtle changes in the sound of my system even when I haven't changed anything. Took a long time for me to realise the inconsistencies were in me, not the system. I suppose because to an extent it is counter-intuitive. We always consider ourselves to be the constant and look for explanations outside of that. In fact we are incredibly inconsistent and the behaviour of electricity going through wires is about as consistent as anything can be.
    I always blame it on the weather! The humidity, barometer or something is different. Much easier than blaming myself! But I know what you are saying, such as, why does the system sound so much better after a pint or two? In fact, all listening tests should be performed after at least two pints!

Russell

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I always blame it on the weather! The humidity, barometer or something is different. Much easier than blaming myself! But I know what you are saying, such as, why does the system sound so much better after a pint or two? In fact, all listening tests should be performed after at least two pints!

Russell
    Some might suggest a large spliff and a tab of something interesting might enhance the experience too.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some might suggest a large spliff and a tab of something interesting might enhance the experience too.
    30 magic mushrooms eaten fresh and washed down with a can of strong, cheap lager. System will sound amazing; I mean musicians not only in the room but you are inside the musician's heads too. System can be as shit as you like, it still works.

Those were the days. I think I only started upgrading when I stopped doing drugs.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast