+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Do mains cables make a difference??

I'm Geoff.

I bet you're picky about what food you buy.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Basically if it tastes great it’s not good for you...
    no, its easy to make good food taste great and be good for you. it just costs more and doesnt keep so well in a packet.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Basically what they were getting at was, if you listen to one kind of sound, good or bad, for long enough, it becomes your reference to compare things against and anything different can be perceived as wrong or lacking.

It's been a great thread this, enjoyed it, lots of good ideas and points of view expressed.
    I think that some hifi manufacturers are very well aware of this and use it to their own ends, but not in a good way. I was at a show where a design guy of a high end US speaker manufacturer was dictating to people what big band music should sound like, which just happened to be exactly what his speakers sounded like...

I thought the speakers sounded good in some ways but a little odd. They seemed to pump out too much bass into female vocals, which gave a nice breathy, full sound, but just not right to my ears.

I am uneasy with this idea that if you don’t like something it’s because you don’t understand what good sounds like. You like it or you don’t.
    ~Paul~

I'm Hugh.

I am uneasy with this idea that if you don’t like something it’s because you don’t understand what good sounds like. You like it or you don’t.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You wouldn't be any chance have input as to what bulking agents, flavour enhancers, synthetic flavourings, binding agents, cheap fats, emulsifiers, dairy substitutes, anti-oxidants, preservatives, etc, that manufacturers can get away with using without cocking up the flavour of food too much?
    Yep, I have been party to all that over the years Geoff. As a result I don't buy any of it myself as I tend to cook everything from scratch.

To be honest a lot of food products now have far fewer additives than they used to as the supermarket brand standards are now much higher.

I'm Dennis.

We do habituate to a type of Hi-Fi sound, surely this is a part of extracting as much as we can from sound, which in normal life would be a survival mechanism.

Hearing the real thing probably is essential, although haven't been to a live concert since '75, Queen in Hyde Pk.

Being without Hi-Fi for six months has enabled me to re-calibrate and become aware of many natural sounds to which I had become oblivious.

I'm Martin.

Spot on. I like it when non-enthusiasts come round and have a listen, if they say it sounds good you know you are onto something because they don't have the baggage of the audiophile who can ignore the overall hard distortion in the sound because he is concentrating on how real the trumpet sounds and whether it is playing 'in time' with the sax.

You only need a trained listener if you want to analyse the sound, to see why it sounds like it does, to pick out the problems. Not to tell you if it sounds good or not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

This is one of the (many) problems with hifi shows; not only are you listening to unknown equipment in an unfamiliar and probably unsuitable room, nine times out of ten the music being played is so dire that no rational person would choose to listen to it. Either that, or it's 'easy' music; girl/guitar or jazz trio. Which might also be dire, of course.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    This is one of the (many) problems with hifi shows; not only are you listening to unknown equipment in an unfamiliar and probably unsuitable room, nine times out of ten the music being played is so dire that no rational person would choose to listen to it. Either that, or it's 'easy' music; girl/guitar or jazz trio. Which might also be dire, of course.
    True - usually it is a case of a good system playing shit music or a shit system playing good music. The planets rarely align for some reason.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

If we were not able to discern decent sound, we would not use Hi-Fi, but just plug a multi-media system into the PC to listen to MP3 downloads and be done with it!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast