+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radford TT100 - the saga begins...?

I'm Nick.

Default Radford TT100 - the saga begins...?

I took delivery of a Radford TT100 hybrid solid-state/valve amp today.

The last amp Radford made, solid state (FETs) inputs, valve output stage with 4x KT88s. Rated at 100w pc.

The price was low enough to tempt me to take a punt on it, sight unseen. The guy who sold it to me claims (!) he tested it and had it working before it was shipped to me, but tbh I daren't turn it on to test it before having it thoroughly checked over.

As you can see it looks very much in, shall we say, original vintage condition. It even has a funky old round-pin 3-prong plug on it. No idea what to do with that. The amp looks like it might have been recovered from a house clearance or something like that.

Sitting in the back are 4 original GEC Gold Lion KT88s, that have probably been in it since it was new! Most likely completely shot, I would guess.

Sadly the arrangements I made to have to shipped to me went horribly wrong - I booked a guy to collect it by hand and deliver it door-to-door by van. This guy then decided to book a courier for the job, without telling me, and pocket the difference as profit. What a scam. So the amp arrived by commercial courier, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid, and who knows how it was treated on the way? I can hear something loose rattling round inside the case. No idea what - best case scenario it's just a loose screw.

This kind of feels like it could be the start of a saga... I won't know until it gets checked over. It'll go off to David Coe at AD Audio for a thorough going over and I will report back after that.

IMG_0478w.jpgIMG_0480w.jpgIMG_0481w.jpgIMG_0482w.jpgIMG_0483w.jpg

I'm Edward.

I'm surprised about the claim of it being tested as the tester presumably had to remove the old style plug to test. Why put it back on knowing it will not work.

Shocking behaviour on the part of the so called personal courier.

Hopefully David Coe will be able to bring it up without too much trouble and work.

I think the circuit diagram is on the Radford Revival website.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Nick.

I suspect the claim of testing prior to shipping to be untrue!

montesquieu Guest

I think your instincts are spot on - that plug looks like it belongs in a museum. Definitely have it checked out.

I've heard of that sort of scam with these sorts of informal couriers - I was lucky enough to get a pair of Eatons hand-delivered from Glasgow in perfect order but I checked with them what the arrangements would be first. Mind you they took two weeks longer than promised but better that than trashed.

Will at Radford Revival has all the bits for these if it needs anything.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I'm surprised about the claim of it being tested as the tester presumably had to remove the old style plug to test. Why put it back on knowing it will not work.

Shocking behaviour on the part of the so called personal courier.

Hopefully David Coe will be able to bring it up without too much trouble and work.

I think the circuit diagram is on the Radford Revival website.

Via Tapatalk
    I heard that David had just acquired some Tannoys, for which this amp should be just perfect ... Nick might be lucky to get it back

I'm Edward.

I'd be tempted to open it up and have a look at the guts. Hopefully the loose item is just a stray screw or something like that. Also you can see if any obvious blown caps etc.

Via Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I heard that David had just acquired some Tannoys, for which this amp should be just perfect ... Nick might be lucky to get it back
    Yes indeed and I've seen a pic of said Tannoys. somewhat of a bargain I'd say.

Via Tapatalk

I'm Nick.

Oh - what Tannoys did David get? I must ask him about that.

(I love my RFC Cheviots and just got another pair of 12" HPDs to put into custom cabs to use as recording studio monitors.)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Oh - what Tannoys did David get? I must ask him about that.

(I love my RFC Cheviots and just got another pair of 12" HPDs to put into custom cabs to use as recording studio monitors.)
    Canterbury SE
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Paul.

Nice one. I dont know what you paid for it but it doesn't look like it will be too hard to get it running like new. You never know, the KT88 might be worth testing, if you know someone with a valve tester. They may be OK and possibly worth something on ebay.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast