+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mint alignment protractor

I'm jamie.

Default Mint alignment protractor

fresh from customs,ouch! my mint protractor arrived today,id been meaning to get one for ages and i bit the bullet and ordered one last month.

id always used the hoffman arc generator software that allows you to print the protractor yourself,the mint is much more accurate,the lines are smaller for a start and there's no mistaking sighting the cantilever due to parallax error thanks to the printed lines.

the protractor is made of glass,a nice touch of quality,its made especially for your tonearm geometry and is easy to use,in short if your serious about getting your cartridge bang on then this is a must!

[IMG] [/IMG]
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Where do the mints go?

I'm jamie.

in my tummy,yummy yummy!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    fresh from customs,ouch! my mint protractor arrived today,id been meaning to get one for ages and i bit the bullet and ordered one last month.

id always used the hoffman arc generator software that allows you to print the protractor yourself,the mint is much more accurate,the lines are smaller for a start and there's no mistaking sighting the cantilever due to parallax error thanks to the printed lines.

the protractor is made of glass,a nice touch of quality,its made especially for your tonearm geometry and is easy to use,in short if your serious about getting your cartridge bang on then this is a must!

[IMG] [/IMG]
    +1
    I’ve used Yip’s MINT tractor on my Techy for years and find it superb.
    I’m pretty sure he uses Baerwald null points.
    Using a loupe/ magnifying glass is essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    +1
    I’ve used Yip’s MINT tractor on my Techy for years and find it superb.
    I’m pretty sure he uses Baerwald null points.
    Using a loupe/ magnifying glass is essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe that, unless requested differently, Yip will manufacture and deliver a protractor that is specified to the geometry of the given arm. In other words, Technics null points for specific Technics arms, Rega nulls for the Rega arms, Stevenson or Baerwald if it is designed around that geometry etc.

Or he will deliver to you whatever you specify. The last time I ordered from him I specified a standard Baerwald protractor for a Sumiko FT3 and a pretty unusual customized Lofgren alignment for a Jelco 750D which I have mounted at an unusual, non-spec'd mounting distance on a non-Jelco spec'd armboard. When I ordered, Yip responded immediately that the nulls, etc. were a bit unconventional and wanted me to be aware of that, which I was. So he is on top of things and very aware.

A very strong light and a loupe more powerful than Yip supplies are pretty much a necessity as far as I'm concerned-I would not order the upgraded loupe from him if he is still providing that at extra cost as it is simply not powerful enough IMO (although I am 58-20 somethings might feel differently). Cheap on e-bay, I use a 40X loupe.

I wouldn't use anything else. When I first started using Yip's protractors I was not convinced that they were any better than using Conrad Hoffman's software, but after spending a bit of time with the Mint protractors it is very clear that you can achieve a very precise alignment with them, quite possibly the most precise of any of the more sophisticated protractors on the market.

Drawback, of course, is that they are not universal and limited to specific arms and/or mounting distances on specific tables as related to the spindle size on the table. So not great for guys who churn through arms or tables but very, very precise.

+ Reply to Thread