+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First DIY Project - Amplifier - Initial direction sought

I'm Alan.

If you have little experience yet, I suggest you take one step back.

Unless you buy a complete kit, case, parts, instructions, support etc., it is best to start with something cheap to practice on and understand before hand rather than try to go straight to your final build. If you buy wisely you can re-use many parts, psu parts, mains transformers etc. as you go along.

As a simple cheap (usually work first time) amp choose something like an MX50 se stereo kit for £15 off ebay. Or NAP140 clone even. You only need to add a decent heat sink, PSU parts and transformer then you can even build it on a piece of plywood. When you get it working, you will be surprised how good they can sound and there is plenty on the web about building and modding them. You might not need anything better?
    As an alternative, look for a roomy old amplifier in the 'spares or repairs' or not working sections of ebay. Strip everything out except the transformer an power supply parts and install your kit boards in there. It can be a lot cheaper than buying the power supply and case parts individually.

Then when you have a better idea what you need / want then maybe try something else.

I'm Alan.

Just re-read your post #8 and realised that you have pre-ordered the Pass kit already... Interesting to see the build.

While you wait, add the Rod Elliott site to your reading list. Once you get his style, there is so much information there. http://sound.whsites.net/index2.html

I'm Alan.

You cant go wrong with the Avondale audio NCC 200 power amplifiers they a relatively easy build and superb sound
    Les Wolstenholm also has a new amp the NCC 220 and is finalising the NCC- 300 amp so visit his web
    site http://avondaleaudio.com/
    Where you can buy built up boards and block build an amplifier or call Les up as he sometimes sells bare circuit boards so you can build an amp from Scratch

I use these amplifiers my self and they are excellent IMO
    Here is a monoblock Voyager amplifier I built with NCC 200 amplifier boards on the right next to left a Stereo Hackernap amplifier which was a group design and buy from the DIY part of Pinkfishmedia again the hackernap is based on the old RCA class A/B design that NAIM modified and exploited to very well over the years.
    wish you all the best of luck with your first build its very interesting and rewarding when they dont blow up

IMG_2232 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm ABRAHAM.

Default Class D or T amp kits ?

Hi,
    Does anybody know of good class D or T kits ?

Thanks
    Abraham

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Hi,
    Does anybody know of good class D or T kits ?

Thanks
    Abraham
    https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nc400/11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm ABRAHAM.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nc400/11

Thanks Martin. Looks a bit pricey at €575 + vat for a mono block kit

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Thanks Martin. Looks a bit pricey at €575 + vat for a mono block kit
    You didn’t state what your budget is.

I'm ABRAHAM.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    You didn’t state what your budget is.

Yes I didn't. Somewhere between £300-400.
    Thanks

I'm Greg.

Not willing to spend lots of money I would not go for the latest Hypex. Their older Ucd modules seem to be fine. Ucd180 is an example. You might also want less power. There are some lower power modules available directly from Hypex.

Finally, second hand equipment is very often of great value.

I'm ABRAHAM.

Default DIY AMP projects

Thanks Greg

Has anybody any experience with the ICE modules ? they seem reasonably priced !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast