+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qutest and my Digital Weekend.

I'm Ken.

Well, I never, didn't think you would go there James

Glad you are getting good results.

Move over, I'm lining up to get into Hi-Rez digital downloads and streaming services myself.

My approach will be some what different, but like you I want to keep my vinyl/analogue capability.

I have been looking at this for quite a while and rethought the whole set up several times. I'm currently looking at products from Primare/Classe/PS Audio, these all produce analogue Pre amps with built in DAC, so the Pre accepts digital or analog inputs and is a one box solution. They all control the volume, source selection etc in the analogue domain which is good for my vinyl. They are all fully balanced designs and have both balanced XLR and single ended RCA Inputs/Outputs, so very flexible bits of kit. My favorite contender is the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (GCD) Pre, pictured below, It's a full width product and I'm trying to arrange a home demo of it.

What I particularly like about this model is the digital I2S input using HDMI cable/sockets. PS Audio created this system and several manufacturers have followed suit using the same pinout, which PS Audio have shared. They sent me details by email, but I later found they had published the schematic for an open use output board on the web, including pin out details. This board allows other manufacturers I2S capable gear to have an output added that can plug into the PS Audio range using I2S over HDMI cable. Audio-GD produce a pin compatible output board like this (available from Audiophonics) and they have also adopted this arrangement on some of their own DAC's.

My concept is to use a single board computer (SBC) and take it's I2S output through an ALLO Kali I2S reclocker then through an Audio-GD I2S (HDMI) output board and on to the Stellar GCD through a standard v2.0 HDMI cable.

My data storage will be on a NAS drive, both it and my internet streaming modem/hub will be connected to the SBC using Gigabit Ethernet cable. So there wont be any WiFi, USB or Spdif interfaces anywhere in the music chain.

I will be using LibreELEC OS and Kodi player.
    LibreELEC is a trimmed down version of Linux with just the essentials needed to run Kodi, which comes as part of the distribution, so it's less resource hungry. Also Kodi has an add on for Qobuz, which is my streaming service of choice, for several reasons I won't go into here.

It's an ambitious project but I don't want to jack your thread, so I will start my own on the subject when I get into it, as I'm sure it will be of interest to others wanting to reap the benefits of I2S's simpler and cleaner audio path.
    Last edited by Qwin; 07-06-2018 at 14:42.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Well, I never, didn't think you would go there James

Glad you are getting good results.

Move over, I'm lining up to get into Hi-Rez digital downloads and streaming services myself.

My approach will be some what different, but like you I want to keep my vinyl/analogue capability.

I have been looking at this for quite a while and rethought the whole set up several times. I'm currently looking at products from Primare/Classe/PS Audio, these all produce analogue Pre amps with built in DAC, so the Pre accepts digital or analog inputs and is a one box solution. They all control the volume, source selection etc in the analogue domain which is good for my vinyl. They are all fully balanced designs and have both balanced XLR and single ended RCA Inputs/Outputs, so very flexible bits of kit. My favorite contender is the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC (GCD) Pre, pictured below, It's a full width product and I'm trying to arrange a home demo of it.

What I particularly like about this model is the digital I2S input using HDMI cable/sockets. PS Audio created this system and several manufacturers have followed suit using the same pinout, which PS Audio have shared. They sent me details by email, but I later found they had published the schematic for an open use output board on the web, including pin out details. This board allows other manufacturers I2S capable gear to have an output added that can plug into the PS Audio range using I2S over HDMI cable. Audio-GD produce a pin compatible output board like this (available from Audiophonics) and they have also adopted this arrangement on some of their own DAC's.

My concept is to use a single board computer (SBC) and take it's I2S output through an ALLO Kali I2S reclocker then through an Audio-GD I2S (HDMI) output board and on to the Stellar GCD through a standard v2.0 HDMI cable.

My data storage will be on a NAS drive, both it and my internet streaming modem/hub will be connected to the SBC using Gigabit Ethernet cable. So there wont be any WiFi, USB or Spdif interfaces anywhere in the music chain.

I will be using LibreELEC OS and Kodi player.
    LibreELEC is a trimmed down version of Linux with just the essentials needed to run Kodi, which comes as part of the distribution, so it's less resource hungry. Also Kodi has an add on for Qobuz, which is my streaming service of choice, for several reasons I won't go into here.

It's an ambitious project but I don't want to jack your thread, so I will start my own on the subject when I get into it, as I'm sure it will be of interest to others wanting to reap the benefits of I2S's simpler and cleaner audio path.
    The PS Audio stuff is very good indeed Ken. I believe Gazjam has one of their DACs and is more than pleased with it.

I'm Martin.

I thought using HDMI for audio had clocking issues, something to do with it expecting there to be video content along with the audio?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

It sounds like they are just using the HDMI cable and connectors, rather than the interface Martin.

Sounds good to me to be using something readily available.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It sounds like they are just using the HDMI cable and connectors, rather than the interface Martin.

Sounds good to me to be using something readily available.
    Okay that makes sense then. figured I must be missing something.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I thought using HDMI for audio had clocking issues, something to do with it expecting there to be video content along with the audio?
    ive extracted audio from hdmi and it was extremely good. alas the extractor packed up. wasnt cheap either so wont be dealing with neet again.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    ive extracted audio from hdmi and it was extremely good. alas the extractor packed up. wasnt cheap either so wont be dealing with neet again.
    It's not likely to be audible, it's just sub-optimal in terms of the SNR.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The PS Audio stuff is very good indeed Ken. I believe Gazjam has one of their DACs and is more than pleased with it.
    Yup,
    PS Audio gear is superb.

A real cliche, but I’m really rediscovering my music collection with this Dac.
    Using it as a Roon endpoint with direct LAN connection from my server, down the line I’ll be fitting an i2s output board to my Oppo 203 to enable me to hook it up via the Directstreams i2s input.
    The Oppo will act as a Roon endpoint and DSD output SACD player in to the Dac, which should sound.....nice.

The Stellar Dac gets a lot of very good reviews, these guys know what they are doing.
    Look forward to read now you get on Ken.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not suggesting using HDMI protocol Martin, this method just uses the HDMI sockets and cables as a means of sending the I2S signal.

Edit: I see others pointed it out further along.
    Yes HDMI is just an off the shelf cable and socket system that PS Audio thought would be good to use for this purpose, many folks have made the same mystake and wondered why their blue ray player wouldn't produce any sound via HDMI. It further complicates things that you can extract the audio element from a true HDMI signal. My NAD M51 DAC can do that.

Which DAC you got Gaz?
    Mine won't be an immediate purchase, just going to pull the trigger on two stereo power amps ( Nord NC500 ) for my semi active speakers, so the piggy bank will need replenishing.

Edit Edit: I see you mention Directstream Gaz, gotcha.
    Last edited by Qwin; 07-06-2018 at 18:45.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Yup,
    PS Audio gear is superb.

A real cliche, but I’m really rediscovering my music collection with this Dac.
    Using it as a Roon endpoint with direct LAN connection from my server, down the line I’ll be fitting an i2s output board to my Oppo 203 to enable me to hook it up via the Directstreams i2s input.
    The Oppo will act as a Roon endpoint and DSD output SACD player in to the Dac, which should sound.....nice.

The Stellar Dac gets a lot of very good reviews, these guys know what they are doing.
    Look forward to read now you get on Ken.
    Which output board are you thinking of fitting to the Oppo?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast