+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD: cheap and cheerful MC cartridge

I'm Lawrence.

Default WTD: cheap and cheerful MC cartridge

Does such a thing exist? I've wanted to have a play for years but can't afford much. Just bought this RFC prototype SUT from PFM (doesn't look like the one that did the rounds on here a few years ago, the ground connector is different, and it says they are Sowter transformers which surprised me).

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...pe-sut.215118/

So I need a MC cartridge to mount on my Ariston RD11/SME3009 (fixed headshell). I have a Yaqin valve stage, plus one in a Gate Audio pre I bought off here a couple of years ago, and a Croft Super Micro A is on its way!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Does such a thing exist?
    Not really. The cheaper you go, the less cheerful they become.

Your best bet is a Denon DL-103 as a starting point. It's give you a good idea of what MC's are about. Trouble is, your lowish mass SME is not suited to low compliance cartridges, as most MC's are. That means you'll need to add weight to the headshell to get it working right.

I'm Alan.

I was going to suggest a 103 as well.
    I have used an offcut of lead flashing to make an extra mass for fitting in the headshell. It is very easy to work with and cut to size.

If you need a small piece give me a shout.

I'm steve.

Depends what your definition of cheap is ?
    If you’ve got £200 or so to spend then the one to go for is the ATF7, or if a little less money is available its cheaper sibling the ATF2. The extra money gets you a nude elliptical whereas the cheaper one is shank mounted. I’ve been using an ATF7 for the last few months and have been very impressed with the SQ, it’s also a brilliant tracker that banishes IGD at 2g tracking weight, it’s a bargain imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How much did you have in mind?

If you wan't to dip your toe into MC waters, and don't mind buying a low mileage used cartridge, then I would suggest either the Denon 103 or an Ortofon MC25FL. There is also the Sumiko 'Blue Point (Special)', but I think that might be a high-output MC.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Hmm I was thinking £50 max for a s/h one.

I'm steve.

You’re going to have a job finding something decent for double that price, I sold a low hours Denon DL110 a few months back and got £88 for it on ebay, about the going rate I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Probably should have done some research before jumping the gun!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hmmm - that's not a lot. I was lucky enough to buy a DL103C with 50 hours on the clock for £50 a few years ago, but these days I would expect to have to pay ~ £150, and about the same for a similarly used Ortofon MC25FL.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think you are going to be able to buy anything half decent for the sum you have in mind.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Ortofon mc 25 was nice on my 3009. Some of the similar lower numbers might be got for around ur budget. Mc 20 maybe
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast