+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiting for the Caiman SEG

I'm Cor.

You want him to grab the Caiman by the pussy?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Adam,

Get that SEG back into the lounge and cover it with one of these.

Andrew

I'm Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Many thanks for your detailed thoughts on this Andreas.
    No problem, but the problem with early impressions is that they are subject to change.

I've since identified an annoying "fizziness" with the SEG that the Rega is completely free of with a smooth linear treble integration. It was vague with speakers but with headphones the difference is readily apparent.

Could be a power supply issue. I'll know on monday when an S-Booster arrives.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Bill.

Have you tried mode 1? I wonder if this trait is due to the much favoured mode 3.
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    Have you tried mode 1? I wonder if this trait is due to the much favoured mode 3.
    I listened carefully for this and I find it's a constant across all modes. I swapped cables back and forth as well, no issues there.

I'll see if I can find the kettle lead for the Rega and see if a power cable downgrade brings the two closer in this regard.

I'm Cor.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTape View Post
    I've since identified an annoying "fizziness" with the SEG
    I’ve experienced the same, some tracks sound with a shrill overtone. Especially some high resolution (flac) tracks and older (flac) recordings are revealing a razorsharp shrillness. Most mp3 (320kbps) tracks sound great. My first thoughts were that it has something to do with the quality of the concerning master-recordings. But really, most of the music played through SEG sounds absolutely awesome. The separation of instruments, the clarity of voices, the dynamics, the 34Hz basstone through my little Magnats which I can finally hear and feel. These benefits outweigh this little drawback, for me it’s audio heaven.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffleport View Post
    I’ve experienced the same, some tracks sound with a shrill overtone. Especially some high resolution (flac) tracks and older (flac) recordings are revealing a razorsharp shrillness. Most mp3 (320kbps) tracks sound great. My first thoughts were that it has something to do with the quality of the concerning master-recordings. But really, most of the music played through SEG sounds absolutely awesome. The separation of instruments, the clarity of voices, the dynamics, the 34Hz basstone through my little Magnats which I can finally hear and feel. These benefits outweigh this little drawback, for me it’s audio heaven.
    Not heard this with my SEG but I'm not playing high quality files only the TV and a cheap Denon streamer but I was listening to Simple Minds live from Perth on BBC4 tonight and my goodness it's hard to believe how good the SEG is with a poor quality signal, don't think I've ever heard the TV sound signal sound so amazing.

I swear that Charlie Burchhill's and his guitar was playing right in front of me in my lounge, uncanny.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTape View Post
    No problem, but the problem with early impressions is that they are subject to change.

I've since identified an annoying "fizziness" with the SEG that the Rega is completely free of with a smooth linear treble integration. It was vague with speakers but with headphones the difference is readily apparent.

Could be a power supply issue. I'll know on monday when an S-Booster arrives.
    I'd like to compare my SEG with my Creek 50CD (twin Wolfson 8742 like your Rega) on this "fizziness" issue....

....what music were you playing when you noticed this. If you could quote a track on a particular CD I would be interested to give this a go.
    Adam.

I'm Cor.

....what music were you playing when you noticed this. If you could quote a track on a particular CD I would be interested to give this a go.
    I know, I’m not MasterTape, but allow me to quote a track; Worn Down Piano, Mark and Clark Band, CD Double Take. Ripped with EAC to flac format. A lot of fizziness/shrillness is happening here, it’s hurting my ears even at low volume and it gives me a headache. And for the pranksters, no, it’s not due to the kind of music...
    Last edited by Baffleport; 27-05-2018 at 19:43. Reason: Grammar...

I'm Cor.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Not heard this with my SEG but I'm not playing high quality files only the TV and a cheap Denon streamer but I was listening to Simple Minds live from Perth on BBC4 tonight and my goodness it's hard to believe how good the SEG is with a poor quality signal, don't think I've ever heard the TV sound signal sound so amazing.

I swear that Charlie Burchhill's and his guitar was playing right in front of me in my lounge, uncanny.
    Sounds very promising. But first I have to order a coax-in-to-toslink-out converter for my satbox, I’m using the SEG coax for my streamer already. I have stored a lot of BBC4 recordings from various music programmes and a lot from BBC proms. I’m very curious to hear The Last Ship concert from Sting, broadcasted approx. 1,5 year ago by the BBC.

I'm Andreas.

I'd like to compare my SEG with my Creek 50CD (twin Wolfson 8742 like your Rega) on this "fizziness" issue....

I want to be clear that this is through the Rega Brio which while slightly tamed compared to the old Brio-R is still capable of being a bit bright (via speakers and the HPA).

Since there is no analogue input on the back of the SEG I can't compare via its HPA that is miles ahead of that of the Brio unfortunately. But I will say that there is less excessive brightness out of the HPA of the SEG than what I'm getting from the Brio.

It's part "shrill overtones" as baffleport says, and I agree it can be headache inducing. Not blatantly obvious as much as just tiring. I'm used to no fatigue at all and this is a departure from that.

With "fizziness" I mean the sort of artifacting you can get in the sibilant region where suddenly there's a grain or fizz to the treble, often when percussion and sibilance collide. And again, I don't run into it often with the SEG's HPA that is smoother.

I like Joni Mitchell - Travelogue - Dream Flat Tires when assessing treble. Lot's of harmonic distortion in her vocal amplification, a potentially sharp ride cymbal throughout, dynamic peaks of brass and potential sibilance at full blast.

Overall I just wish the SEG was a bit more body and less outline. It's more textured than "tonal and musical" I think. But I also want to be clear that I think it's the better DAC, at 1/3 of the cost of the Rega, with a decent HPA thrown in. I just wish it was voiced a tiny bit sweeter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast