+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for the Caiman SEG

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTape View Post
    I want to be clear that this is through the Rega Brio which while slightly tamed compared to the old Brio-R is still capable of being a bit bright (via speakers and the HPA).

Since there is no analogue input on the back of the SEG I can't compare via its HPA that is miles ahead of that of the Brio unfortunately. But I will say that there is less excessive brightness out of the HPA of the SEG than what I'm getting from the Brio.

It's part "shrill overtones" as baffleport says, and I agree it can be headache inducing. Not blatantly obvious as much as just tiring. I'm used to no fatigue at all and this is a departure from that.

With "fizziness" I mean the sort of artifacting you can get in the sibilant region where suddenly there's a grain or fizz to the treble, often when percussion and sibilance collide. And again, I don't run into it often with the SEG's HPA that is smoother.

I like Joni Mitchell - Travelogue - Dream Flat Tires when assessing treble. Lot's of harmonic distortion in her vocal amplification, a potentially sharp ride cymbal throughout, dynamic peaks of brass and potential sibilance at full blast.

Overall I just wish the SEG was a bit more body and less outline. It's more textured than "tonal and musical" I think. But I also want to be clear that I think it's the better DAC, at 1/3 of the cost of the Rega, with a decent HPA thrown in. I just wish it was voiced a tiny bit sweeter.
    Yes I know what you mean about "body". Might seem a bit mad but I ran my SEG through a highly modified Musical Fidelity X10D tube buffer. This gave the sound more "body".
    Adam.

I'm Andreas.

Today the 15v S-Booster arrived and I don't think it's a matter of diminished returns at all. The difference is rather

I'm not hearing new stuff here and there, there is information I haven't heard in every second of every track.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Bill.

Today the 15v S-Booster arrived and I don't think it's a matter of diminished returns at all. The difference is rather

I'm not hearing new stuff here and there, there is information I haven't heard in every second of every track.
    Has the S-Booster cured the fizziness?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Cor.

I’m reluctant to pay for a power supply which costs more than the device it has to supply power for. But perhaps I’m just a greedy miser.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffleport View Post
    I’m reluctant to pay for a power supply which costs more than the device it has to supply power for. But perhaps I’m just a greedy miser.
    It needn't, there are plenty of 15v Linear PSUs on Ebay.

I'm Cor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    It needn't, there are plenty of 15v Linear PSUs on Ebay.
    The s-booster costs € 275,-/GBP 240.-

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Baffleport View Post
    The s-boosters costs € 275,-/GBP 240.-
    Speak with Nick at Longdog Audio

I'm Cor.

Speak with Nick at Longdog Audio
    Thanks for the tip. But I’d rather wait for a dedicated psu from the master of dacs himself, Beresford (if reasonably priced).
    I’ve read mixed reviews about the iFi iPower, too many people can’t notice any difference in sound experience.

I'm Bill.

Interesting, from your signature it looks like you have the S-Booster on the Digione rather than the SEG.

I'm Andreas.

Interesting, from your signature it looks like you have the S-Booster on the Digione rather than the SEG.
    Yeah I already had one. I was lucky to find the 5v one used as new at $150 after buying the Digione, and now the same situation for the 15v one when I bought the SEG. I couldn't pull the trigger on them new due to the cost, and I'm a sucker for being able to try and resell anyway.

No more complaints from me, I now have a pitch black back drop and smoothness top to bottom. The added detail via the HPA is mind boggling with the new lack of noise floor. You have clarity and definition many notes further down and up and going through familiar songs is information overload. Having a lot of fun tonight with my old knackered AKG K550's
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast