+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Waiting for the Caiman SEG

I'm Andreas.

P3 buyer wasn't happy and I obliged when he offered them back slightly cheaper. So trying around some more.

Found a well priced Elex-R and no issues whatsoever with any sound signature mode on the SEG. Silky smooth treble in comparison to both the old Brio-R and new Brio and a much more mature sound signature.
    Allo Digione (w S-Booster)-> Rega DAC -> Rega Elex-R -> Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Andy.

So are we saying the latest Caiman is not compatible with the Rega Brio 2017 and that Stan has agreed that this is the case? The reason I ask is I was just about to purchase a Caiman but have the latest Brio

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmltech View Post
    So are we saying the latest Caiman is not compatible with the Rega Brio 2017 and that Stan has agreed that this is the case? The reason I ask is I was just about to purchase a Caiman but have the latest Brio
    Fairly sure it was only the earlier version of the Brio....

...but would be good if Stan could chime in to confirm this.
    Adam.

Who said any of that?

I'm Andy.

Hi Stan look at page 6 of this thread. Last post on the page here https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...iman-SEG/page6

I'm Andy.

Theadmans is his user name if that helps

Theadmans is his user name if that helps
    Quite some time ago certainly wasn't 2017. The Brio first came out in 2007, which was quite some time ago. I have never heard from anyone with a 2017 Brio that they have had any issues. It's this kind reference to issues with equipment from a previous decade, which are then read to be issues with equipment that just came out that is of no help to anyone.

I'm Cor.

I have to revise my opinion with regard to the iFi iPower. Read a lot of (customer) reviews from people who didn’t notice much difference in sound. A while ago I found a review from a Chinese guy accompanied with his measurement results for various LP- and SMP-supplies, translated by Chris Connaker from Minneapolis.
    After reading I decided to give it a go and buy me an iFi iPower. And oh boy, it gave an instant improvement in sound.
    First thing I noticed was a wider soundstage and better dynamics. Caiman SEG has already excellent dynamics, but with iPower they become even better.
    For me, the greatest advantage is that I am able now to play the music much louder while maintaining sound details. The shrill overtones and shrilness are gone, Worn Down Piano from Mark & Clark sounds much better without the shrilness, alas it’s just a badly engineered album.
    However, it seems that iFi Power cuts some of the highs which make some recordings sound just brilliant. Well, you can’t have it all. I love my SEG and my Caiman mkII serves as my PC soundcard now. Flying a FSX DC3 never sounded better!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Quite some time ago certainly wasn't 2017. The Brio first came out in 2007, which was quite some time ago. I have never heard from anyone with a 2017 Brio that they have had any issues. It's this kind reference to issues with equipment from a previous decade, which are then read to be issues with equipment that just came out that is of no help to anyone.
    Stan - your quote from this site:-

"I am only aware of the 2007 Brio with its 70K ohms input impedance causing loss of signal strength due to the incorrect impedance matching. That affected the Bushmaster and the Caiman MKII. Line inputs normally have an input impedance of 47K."

...my quote - "Fairly sure it was only the earlier version of the Brio....

...but would be good if Stan could chime in to confirm this."

I was fairly certain it was an old combination of Rega and Beresford products. Don't think I was too wide of the mark trying to remember old posts (at 51 my memory isn't what it once was).
    Adam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567