+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Past, present or future..?

I'm Shaun.

Default Past, present or future..?

If there is no such thing as the future because it hasn't happened yet, how can someone travel back in time to where we are..? How could we travel forward in time when that time doesn't exist..? It hasn't happened yet. On top of that, there is no past either and we could never travel there because of that very reason. We only think of the past because our brains remember what was the present. There is no past and there is no future. The Sex Pistols said it so well

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps there is no time and everything is happening at once. Anyway, how can we say we are travelling forward, nothing indicates a direction? Time on the human level is just our yardstick for perceived passing of events.

I'm Shaun.

Yep, it is simply the interval between events on our human level. Regarding direction though, current thinking is why does time only move forward..? One day moves to the next and we get older as does everything else. None of us get younger so the only direction appears to be forward. Why..?

Current thinking also indicates that all we have is what is happening right now which brought me to my original thought.

What the hell.

I'm Shaun.

Geoff, I also get your point. Nothing indicates a direction except a clock ticking away. Without a clock how would time have a direction..? Very good point.

A few thousand years ago human time would have had no direction.

I'm Geoff.

There is no present that can be experienced. By the time anything registers, it has already passed.

I'm Gary.

The one Im really curious about is i2s?

My dac has that input, and my final digital transport is more than several paychecks away so I ask, are there any cheap i2s output transport options?
    Been down the Pi route already, not wanting to invest in the power supplies etc to get it at its best...which I never really got on with anyway.

ta.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 02-05-2018 at 13:46.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Hugh.

I need a drink.

I'm Steve.

Surely the only way to travel into the future would be to travel faster than the speed of light, therefore arriving before you set off.

I think the only likely destination is insanity, as our feeble human brains need this 'time construct' in order to make sense of our world.

I don't know why I'm bothering to type this, as the recipients don't exist, and this post comes from your past, which doesn't exist either. I'm more inclined to believe that everything is happening everywhere, all the time.

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There is no present that can be experienced. By the time anything registers, it has already passed.
    But there is no past as it only exists as a memory in our heads and our concept of the future only exists through anticipation. In real terms the future does not exist and neither does the past. That can only leave us with about three seconds of reality..?

Travel to the past cannot happen for that very reason. It is not real. Travel to the future cannot happen because it is not real either. It hasn't happened and when it does it is the present.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I think the only likely destination is insanity, as our feeble human brains need this 'time construct' in order to make sense of our world.
    Maybe why some of us cling on to religion, to make sense of the World and its finality..?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast