+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shure

I'm Phil.

I'm Adam.

Seems a strange move when their competitors such as Goldring, Audio Technica etc. are bringing out new ranges as a result of the renewed increase in vinyl.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Steve.

Sad news to see such an icon of phono cartridges exit stage, but not surprising given that they had not served the high end phono market for many years that was in their heyday an area of technological leadership for them. Cartridge demand was just not high enough for them to continue, especially as they have fingers in a number of more lucrative pies that are perhaps less fickle that the hifi market.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Seems a strange move when their competitors such as Goldring, Audio Technica etc. are bringing out new ranges as a result of the renewed increase in vinyl.
    As I've mentioned on PFM, this smacks of finance getting their claws in and looking at the high skilled / manual labour overheads not being compatible with churning out headphones and microphones on an automated production line - lower production costs, higher margins.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps Shure feel the vinyl 'bubble' may burst (again) as it did in the early eighties.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    As I've mentioned on PFM, this smacks of finance getting their claws in and looking at the high skilled / manual labour overheads not being compatible with churning out headphones and microphones on an automated production line - lower production costs, higher margins.
    You say that as if it was some kind of dirty deed done. We all know that companies are in business to make a profit, and sadly that means they sometimes have no choice but to behave ruthlessly to achieve that. It's all very well millions of Shure cartridge fans and users bemoaning their decision to drop the line, but if they didn't follow profitable routes to market, the company as a whole could be in danger. There's no sentiment in business. We're in a nice cosy 'hobby', those guys are in it to make a profit for shareholders - and may I add - to provide jobs for a workforce, so long as they are soluble. I too find the news saddening, but as a former sales and marketing man I can also see that it makes sense to them as a company, and those who made the decision should not be vilified for doing so. Blame technological progress and market forces, not groups of people doing what they have to do to maintain healthy profit margins on operating costs.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sad news - I'm sure there are many of "those of a certain generation", who started off their audio interest with a Shure cartridge.

But technology moves on and Shure didn't keep up with cartridge development as did the likes of Ortofon, Goldring and some Japanese manufacturers. The name continues however with the development and manufacture of other audio/visual related products, as does that of Tandberg, Nagra, and Ferrograph.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Even the Iconic Gibson Guitars are in receivership,

+ Reply to Thread