+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich High End show 2018

I'm Simon.

Acoustic plan, handmade in Germany, costs an arm and leg, couldn't be arsed to recess anything on front or rear panels....
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Justin.

They are obviously not in recess.

I will say I did think the volume control felt a little dodgy... not the best knob feel by any means

I'm Justin.

Truly dreadful I felt.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I will say I did think the volume control felt a little dodgy... not the best knob feel by any means
    Lol... The other thing that's obvious, apart from what Simon and you have pointed out, is the use of el-cheapo, bog standard speaker terminals and phono sockets. You'd think at this ridiculously elevated price level, they'd have fitted the likes WBTs, and stuff that was made from solid-silver or copper, rather than cheap brass!

That's inexcusable. For the price being charged, these things should be brim full of the finest components known to man, and in terms of volume control 'knob feel', fitted with the highest quality stepped attenuators, so that in use, the 'feel' is very positive and silky-smooth.

It doesn't bode well for what components might lurk 'under the hood', if they can't even be arsed to impress on the outside - probably obsolete stock from Maplins!

Lots more 'slurp', then....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

I agree Marco and I was going to point it out but you beat me to it.

Anyway, I'd best point out why I thought the Cessaro weren't up to par.

Apparently the Cessaro man had decided to keep bass levels very low, so despite the huge subs, you didn't really hear any. The total opposite of the AG Trio & basshorn effort.

But every time I went in there, the sound was a let down. Huge speakers producing very average sound. The lack of bass was a common observation by others. I've been to Munich four times now and I have never heard Cessaro speakers sound good. The best it probably the Liszt, but even then I think the large mid range horn disperses sound in a very different manner to the rest of the speaker. Obvious when you move around the room.

Someone on another forum referred to them as transistor radio sound. Almost fair

Strangely, though, it doesn't seem to matter. They sell quite a few (4-6) of these top end Cessaros per show. For many customers it seems that appearance counts for more than sound. I think they look pretty vile and awkward.

A few more (not great) Cessaro snaps. The amps might be alright for all I know. The speakers definitely aren't in my book.

I'm Justin.

Sorry, I didn't qualify, it was the 46C with the dodgy knob.

Magico. Never been keen. Yet I have never heard this model before. Every time I went in, it sounded pretty good. Surprise.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. Magico are one of those names that seem to sell from some sort of perceived prestige (high cost?). The few I've heard did not really impress. Can't recall models. I'd lump Avalon and Wilson in there too. I've not been struck with them either.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. Magico are one of those names that seem to sell from some sort of perceived prestige (high cost?). The few I've heard did not really impress. Can't recall models. I'd lump Avalon and Wilson in there too. I've not been struck with them either.
    Agreed. Wilson are a recipe of sterility, generally. Avalon just never entertain and beg the question why does anyone like them??

I'm Justin.

TW Accustic you might think. I did.

Wrong. More expensive. Went out for a meal with some What's Best Forum chappies, one of whom was a TW owner. He had been grilling the rep and apparently they are quite different in terms of platter construction, this being heavier than any TW.

Not sure a chrome Morch DP8 looks right on it, but hey.

I think it is a Danish Hartvig, but it must be a new model, since the website doesn't detail it. Hartvig leaflets were right by it.

I'm Justin.

hORNS Poland.

Generally not a bad brand. Their hORNS FP15 is a great speaker I think, and the recent Universum although now a lot more expensive than it used to be, sounds a lot better than it used to. Early iterations weren't good.

This is the Symphony loudspeaker. Not really my cup of tea, but it did sound pleasant. I'd rather have the FP15 or Universum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast