+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Munich High End show 2018

I'm Lee.

I spent quite a bit of time in the Thoress room, the turntable whos name eludes me sported the 35,000 Euro tonearm, which according to the guy in side was a bit of a pain in the arse to use so they switched the SME V12. I must admit the sound coming from this system was my second favourite of the show, I believe the speakers were around the 13,000 Euro mark, but given that quite a few of the systems on display were meg bucks prices this in comparison was excellent. Hats off to the guys at Thoress

Untitled by henleymajor, on Flickr
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Lee.

Something different, the guys who have relaunched the Western Electric name were selling amplifiers, WE 300B remake tubes and speaker wire. The guy informed me that the wire was made using the original formula and was available from the WE website.

A couple of years back the original WE16GA wire was in demand when an article written by Jeff day for Positive feedback hit the streets. I managed to get hold of some myself to try out and liked it eventually moving onto the Duelund WE clone. I may be tempted to try some of the thicker gauge myself in the near future.

http://www.westernelectric.com/products-ks13385.html

DSCF1130 by henleymajor, on Flickr
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Lee.

The enthusiastic guy in the PMC room was telling me about their new £50,000 prototype speakers with technology built into the sides to prevent vibration, the system comprised of mainly Bryston electronics. I wasn't that impressed to be honest, the sound left me wanting for more especially given the price point of the speakers.

DSCF1141 by henleymajor, on Flickr

I'm Lee.

No shortage of turntables at Munich!

DSCF1115 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1111 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1109 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1104 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1050 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1047 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1022 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1017 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1015 by henleymajor, on Flickr

DSCF1014 by henleymajor, on Flickr

I'm Lee.

There were quite a few Lenco PTP's in use throughout the show, Peter from PTP was in attendance and I managed to have a chat with him, he's quite an enthusiastic guy and very knowledgeable as youd expect. He had his new PTP creation on show and must admit it sounded quite nice although the asking prices was over 6000 euro. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it but managed to get one of the original design.

One of the rooms that used the original PTP was the Line Magnetic room the valve amplifier manufacturer from China. They were playing the Line Magnetic CD player when i went in, they guy changed over to the PTP for a demo and I was quite impressed with what I heard, definate improvement over the CD player to say the least!

DSCF1001 by henleymajor, on Flickr

The other room using the PTP was Thomas Meyer, they had 2 in use, one specially adapted to play 78rpm records which they played for us, first time Id heard 78's playing in a long time and it was quite nice to hear them. The sound in this room for me was another one that I liked quite alot, dont be fooled by the small speakers made by Azzolina Audio, they projected an image that was remarkable to say the least, very extended with great height and scale.

DSCF1039 by henleymajor, on Flickr

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time in the Thoress room, the turntable whos name eludes me sported the 35,000 Euro tonearm, which according to the guy in side was a bit of a pain in the arse to use so they switched the SME V12. I must admit the sound coming from this system was my second favourite of the show, I believe the speakers were around the 13,000 Euro mark, but given that quite a few of the systems on display were meg bucks prices this in comparison was excellent. Hats off to the guys at Thoress

Now why doesn't the good sound you heard there not surprise me?

I have to say that if I were to sell my amps and start again, and go for 'new high-end', Thöress would likely fit the bill. Nice intimate/cosy looking room too, which for me is essential for listening to music, as it puts you in a relaxed frame of mind, and infinitely more preferable to the starkly lit, wide-open spaces of some of the other rooms shown.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

Lee there's plenty of original age annealed WE speaker cable on eBay for less than the new stuff will cost I am sure.

Some might be fake, but a lot probably isn't. That's the issue.

I'm Adam.

The enthusiastic guy in the PMC room was telling me about their new £50,000 prototype speakers with technology built into the sides to prevent vibration, the system comprised of mainly Bryston electronics. I wasn't that impressed to be honest, the sound left me wanting for more especially given the price point of the speakers.
    Funny, I thought these were the best sounding thing at the show by a country mile. Then again, I am allergic to most horn loudspeakers, so this does wipe about two thirds of the rooms out of contention for me!

I should say, an honourable exception here is Ocean Way Audio. He seems to make his horn-loaded speakers sound exactly like everyone else says other horn loaded speakers sound, but which I’ve never found to be the case! The ‘Montereys’ he was playing sounded wonderful.

As an aside, one thing I love about seeing other peoples pictures, is spotting things I didn’t see, and wondering how I missed them!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Funny, I thought these were the best sounding thing at the show by a country mile. Then again, I am allergic to most horn loudspeakers, so this does wipe about two thirds of the rooms out of contention for me!

I should say, an honourable exception here is Ocean Way Audio. He seems to make his horn-loaded speakers sound exactly like everyone else says other horn loaded speakers sound, but which I’ve never found to be the case! The ‘Montereys’ he was playing sounded wonderful.

As an aside, one thing I love about seeing other peoples pictures, is spotting things I didn’t see, and wondering how I missed them!
    I'll second I thought they were good. They almost made the bad boy bass category, but not quite.

Pretty good scale, tight controlled bass, good clarity, spacious but not over bloated imagery, able to do loud without stress etc.

The problem? Price, and they look absolutely bloody dreadful!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

DSCF1001 by henleymajor, on Flickr
    Lee, do you know what that silver box is, with the VU-meters, to the right of the turntable being played? I love the styling!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast