+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Love the music, hate the mastering?

I'm Paul.

Default Love the music, hate the mastering?

I guess it must happen to all of us at some point, you buy a great album with wonderful music, but the mastering makes listening to it horrible, fatiguing assult on the lug-oles.

It happened to me recently and I had an idea which is not one for the purists, but it means that I can listen to my new albulm and enjoy it.

I’m a bit of a Beth Hart fan but the My California albulm was just too hard to listen to. I had already ripped it to my NAS drive so opened the album up in some free music editing software called Oceanaudio and used the spectrograph function. It was rather obvious that there was a lot of energy in the upper registers, right up to nearly 20 khz. The only other time I have seen a spectrograph like that is when my budgie decides to sing at the top of it’s ear piercing screech. The music seemed overly compressed too, with little difference in volume between anything you would expect to be loud or quiet.

I used the softwares expander function, which is the reverse to compression, just a little to help put some dynamics back. I also then changed the EQ by rolling off the higher frequencies until the spectrograph looked a little more kinder on the ears.

Once I done this for one song I just used the same settings for the rest of the albulm, but no reason other than time not to do each sone individually. Afterwards the albulm much was better to listen too, not perfect but certainly listenable.

Has anyone else tried anything similar?
    ~Paul~

I'm Alan.

I haven't but sounds like a brilliant approach. Hat's off to to you Paul.

I'm Chris.

Just disconnect the tweeters
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Just disconnect the tweeters
    Haha! If only I had thought of that...

Here’s the link to Oceanaudio. You can see some examples of spectrographs. Red is quite high intensity. Yellow and white are very high and you would expect to see these colours at the bottom of the spectrograph, as this corresponds to bass frequencies where energy is highest. If you see yellow or white high up past a few kilohertz the music is likely to sound quite fatiguing.

Oceanaudio has a nice interface but you cannot batch process multiple files. Audacity is a bit clunkier to use but you can batch process.
    ~Paul~

I'm Tim.

Hi Paul,

if you're using Audacity have you tried Terry West's ReLife plugin?

Exactly how it works is a bit of a mystery, but it puts back a little of dynamics and reduces harshness.

Now free so nothing to lose by giving it a try. Not sure if this link still works:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1732

Can't remember if Audacity will accept a VST as standard or if more fiddling about is needed.

Plenty of online comment, such as here:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332429

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mast...fe-plugin.html

Like you I have also tried using upwards expansion, but the results were too hit and miss for me. Unless you chance on something close to the inverse of the original compression curve (which may be different for different frequency bands) it'll probably make things worse.

Good luck!
    Currently rocking:

foobar2000 or Qobuz -> ifi iSUB3.0 -> Chord Mojo - > Marantz HD-AMP1 - > Dali Menuet / Sennheiser HD700

I'm Paul.

Not heard of that, thanks.
    ~Paul~

I'm Martin.

You can tweak it 7 ways from Sunday but if they have compressed all the dynamic range out of it in the mastering there's sadly no way back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can tweak it 7 ways from Sunday but if they have compressed all the dynamic range out of it in the mastering there's sadly no way back.
    Yes, you are right - garbage in garbage out, so you will never be able to fix a bad production. I used it just to make an album of great music listenable. I enjoy the album for the music, but it will never be an audiophile experience.
    ~Paul~

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post

I’m a bit of a Beth Hart fan but the My California album was just too hard to listen to....
    Speaking of California, Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication, is the album that I'd like to rescue. I wonder if my venerable Behringer DEQ 2496 could help, as I think it has an expander function.

I'm Martin.

I have that album and I don't think it is as bad as people say, compression wise, but musically it isn't a patch on Mother's Milk or Blood Sugar Sex Magic. They are the only 2 Chillis albums worth having IMO. Although their first one is okay too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread