+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CD ripping

I'm James.

Default CD ripping

Anyone actually heard or compared the difference between a CD ripped using error correction ( ITunes) vs a CD ripped using proprietary software? If the CD is in very good nick do you think you would actually here the difference once it is ripped to a file?

I'm Neil.

Truth be told, no. This doesn't stop me from using 'bit perfect, error logged' software such as http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ though.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mick.

Plus 1 for EAC.
    Then use Fubar 2000 to tag from Discogs

I'm Alan.

Strikes me it is a myth that you will hear any audible degradation when error correction is actually implemented.

The built in error correction of red book is very powerful and you would only get audible artifacts if HUGE chunks of digital code were missing and the system had to interpolate.

I'm James.

I wonder if error correction bit perfect software is all about drumming up software sales? If you rip a CD to a file without ensuring it is bit perfect is this audible on good or new quality CDs? I have investigated around the net and quite a few folk have suggested they cannot hear the difference between bit perfect rips and error corrected rips.

I'm Grant.

cannot say i ever noticed anything different audibly from using eac to foobar or jriver. eac was good for difficult discs tho, but its pretty slow.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

I have heard CD audibly drop out and make funny sqeaks when they are damaged but minor surface imperfections don't cause a problem. However maybe the quality of the audio signal is impaired if error correction has to work or once ripped you may have a slightly inferior audio signal?

I'm James.

Think I have found all my answers in this forum article. You need to scroll down to read the bits that matter

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/ripped/

+ Reply to Thread