To conclude my Garrard 401 project, I always intended on having the flexibility of a 2 arm approach.
The TT already has an (12") SME 3012 fitted and the search was on for a 9" arm to give a different presentation.
I opted for the audio-technica ATP-12T which is in-effect nearer a 10" arm, and was given the heads up that
phonomac (Angus) of this parish offered a comprehensive upgrade package for such an arm.

So a slightly tired example was found and sent to Angus to fettle his magic on.

list of work completed

• completely dismantle arm and clean all parts
• re-ink VTF scale on arm tube
• re-wire arm with KAB Superflex
• fit arm tube damping inserts
• clean vertical motion bearings in ultrasonic bath
• install ceramic hybrid pillar bearings
• re-assemble and adjust bearings
• make mounting bracket for arm clip and Jelco lift
• make heavy stainless steel counterweight for use with SPU-type cartridges

When it came back from Angus it looked so beautiful, his attention to detail was impressive.
Along with a very fair price.
So a huge thanks to Angus for top notch service, communication and obviously his exemplary craftsmanship.

So how does this lovely looking arm sound?
Early impressions... firstly it handles those heavy SPUs just wonderfully. The first thing that struck me is it's a cleaner, slightly faster arm then the SME 3012.
Pulls detail out of the grooves very well indeed and has well controlled textured bass. This lovely thing is a very satisfying arm to handle indeed.
The whole arm delivers authority and balance from the groove.

I can't wait for further listening this coming week.

Many thanks to montesquieu for helping fit this arm, it wasn't as straight forward as first hoped, as the Russ Collinson Shindo style
plinth had to be modified in the arm base cavity to accommodate the mounting bolts. Tom's experience of such things was impressive and
he navigated the curve ball with calmness, he didn't curse once!
If I had done it, I may have taken a mallet to it and the air would have been very deep blue. Top work indeed sir!

Some pictures below. Sorry not the greatest (iPhone)