Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SAPBO - Staffordshire Area Phonostage Bakeoff.

Bigman80 Guest

You'd be welcome to join in matey, struggle is finding a venue that ticks all the boxes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I have an AQVOX Phono 2 CI I could bring, but it has very specific system requirements, so probably wouldn't suit a demo rig tailored for most others.

Just to clarify, it's a pro piece of kit designed for studio mastering and needs balanced XLR from cartridge, through amplification. Its a current amplifier rather than voltage amplifier, is designed to be MC only and because of the design, doesn't need loading adjustment.

It can cater for RCA input and MM and has adjustments for "normal" loading/capacitance operation, but that is not hearing it anywhere near its best, or how it is intended to work.

I might just come along for the crack and to hear some nice gear, so I'm keen to see if the date clashes with anything else I'm doing.
    It's always difficult, organizing an event in the holiday season.

Bigman80 Guest

Quick update:

We are hoping to have a venue confirmed in the next few days and with this, a date!

Venue will still be in the Stoke area and likely to be on a Sunday in June.

More to follow!

I'm Spartacus.

I have an AQVOX Phono 2 CI I could bring, but it has very specific system requirements, so probably wouldn't suit a demo rig tailored for most others.

Just to clarify, it's a pro piece of kit designed for studio mastering and needs balanced XLR from cartridge, through amplification. Its a current amplifier rather than voltage amplifier, is designed to be MC only and because of the design, doesn't need loading adjustment.

It can cater for RCA input and MM and has adjustments for "normal" loading/capacitance operation, but that is not hearing it anywhere near its best, or how it is intended to work.
    The 2ci has been my main phono stage for the past couple of years. I prefer it to every phono stage I've had in my current system, including the Trilogy 907. It can run in balanced (current) or unbalanced (voltage) mode. Balanced is only for MC but unbalanced caters for both MM and MC. I've had excellent results with my Hana SH and AT33PTG, and the Shure M97xE is completely transformed and almost unrecognisable through the MM stage. I'm currently running a Stanton 681EEE and the combination of this on a 4gm Moerch DP6 arm tube and Aqvox (correctly adjusted for capacitance and gain) leaves very little to be desired. I think the 2ci would be an ideal candidate because it is flexible enough to configure manually in unbalanced (voltage) mode. Ideally you'd use RCA/XLR adaptors and use the balanced (current) mode but I suspect even in unbalanced mode it will sound very good, provided the system has enough gain.
    Cheers, Jeff

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    The 2ci has been my main phono stage for the past couple of years. I prefer it to every phono stage I've had in my current system, including the Trilogy 907. It can run in balanced (current) or unbalanced (voltage) mode. Balanced is only for MC but unbalanced caters for both MM and MC. I've had excellent results with my Hana SH and AT33PTG, and the Shure M97xE is completely transformed and almost unrecognisable through the MM stage. I'm currently running a Stanton 681EEE and the combination of this on a 4gm Moerch DP6 arm tube and Aqvox (correctly adjusted for capacitance and gain) leaves very little to be desired. I think the 2ci would be an ideal candidate because it is flexible enough to configure manually in unbalanced (voltage) mode. Ideally you'd use RCA/XLR adaptors and use the balanced (current) mode but I suspect even in unbalanced mode it will sound very good, provided the system has enough gain.
    Plans are for everything to be as simple as possible and keeping the same conditions for the Phonostages on display. RCA cables will be used but having a quick read up on your phonostage, I doubt it will have any issues!

You are welcome to attend!

I'm Ken.

I'm also running a MkII AT33PTG with the 2Ci phono stage, this combo does it for me. I have it on a Transfi Audio linear tracking arm and wired as balanced right through from cartridge to Power amp.
    Aqvox recommend interconnects from TT should be unshielded twisted pair x2, have you tried this? I keep meaning to make some leads in this configuration to see if it makes a difference, just not got round to it yet.

PM me if you like, don't want to thread jack.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Plans are for everything to be as simple as possible and keeping the same conditions for the Phonostages on display. RCA cables will be used but having a quick read up on your phonostage, I doubt it will have any issues!

You are welcome to attend!
    Thanks Oliver, I'd love to if I was closer. I was trying to encourage Ken to bring his 2ci along. Hopefully this will work out. Ken, I'll pm you.
    Cheers, Jeff

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks Oliver, I'd love to if I was closer. I was trying to encourage Ken to bring his 2ci along. Hopefully this will work out. Ken, I'll pm you.
    Ah, didn't look at your location. Fair enough, you'd be welcome if you fancied the journey. Hopefully Ken is up for it!

I'm Ken.

Ah, didn't look at your location. Fair enough, you'd be welcome if you fancied the journey. Hopefully Ken is up for it!
    All down to the date you select Oliver, eagerly awaiting news on that.

Bigman80 Guest

Me too!!
    All down to the date you select Oliver, eagerly awaiting news on that.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Venue will still be in the Stoke area and likely to be on a Sunday in June.
    I'd advise not to make it the 24th (the day after the Cranage Hall show: http://audioshow.co.uk/ ) as folks won't want to use up the whole of their weekend going to shows/bake-offs, so for those interested in the Stoke bake-off or Cranage show, it would likely be one or the other, and so could affect attendance of the former on the Sunday.

Just a thought, guys

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast